• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinking about Choosing Big O Tires For My XJ ?

REAPER74

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in need of replacing all 4 of my LT235 75R 15's on my 96XJ. They have been pretty good all around tires but they are done.
Currently, I'm running stock steelies but have acquired a set of the ZJ simulated Canyon rims(15x7's). I plan on using the ZJ rims for as my daily drivers and will continue running 235's 75r15's.

Anyways, while looking at all the options available I am close to deciding on some Big O Tire Bigfoots AT's and we have Big O Tire shop locally.
I've never owned a set of Big O tires but I like the the 3 year warranty they offer.

Here's a link to the tires I'm looking at:
http://www.bigotires.com/Tire-Detail/BIG-O/BIG-FOOT-A-T-ALL-TERRAIN/12651

Anybody have any recent experience or comments on this company's warranty and quality of the tires?

I used to sell a lot of them when I worked at Big O, They are made by cooper on average people get about 40k out of them. We had a bunch of customers have issues with them cupping and they are always with in a few dollars of the BFG AT price. If I was in your shoes I would go with the BFG AT . Also they will try to push the BIG O At because of the Road hazard that is included with the tire and the profit margin is usually in the 35-45% range where a BFG is in the 10-18% GP range

They look allot like the Cooper discover ats i have on my Tahoe, they ride well and are quiet, i do have a bit of cupping after 10k miles not too bad though

Actually, the BFG AT's are currently $20 less than the Big O's.
and I'm giving that serious consideration. I've never had any issues with any BFG's ever and that is worth a lot to me too.
However, the Big O warranty is rather enticing maybe even worth dealing with quality issues as long as they keep replacing them if there experience any problems at all.

Find a discount tire store. Price match the bfg's and get the road hazard. Works out to about the same price.

I got 90k miles out of a set of BFG AT's on a Ford Excursion (heavy beast)

Also have had a set on my XJ that are 6 years old. They have done very well on and off road.

When it comes time to replace them it will be hard for me to justify choosing another tire.

I would look into discounttire.com discounttiredirect.com they do price match. If you have a local store you can go there as well.
I would consider the General Grabber AT2 over the BFG AT. Also, Falken Wildpeak AT / Rocky mountain ATS.

I'm running General grabber AT2's. very good tire so far. I'm a big BFG fan, but these are way less $$, have a great A/T pattern, and get lots of good reviews.

Then again, I hate buying tires, and I'll always go for the cheapest "good" tire I can find. lol.

Back