• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

for those looking for a clean way to mount baja shifter

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everybody

Well finally finished this project. I really dont think somebody could pay me to do this again, and there was a lot of times during the project where I thought about half assing something, just to get it done. but I'm happy I stuck with my original plan. for mounting it, Ive run 4 1/2 inch pieces of tubing welded to the transmission tunnel, and welded nuts into the top of them. its very secure, and feels pretty solid when being shifted. ran into lots of clearance problems, but nothing that I couldn't either cut out of the way, or beat on with a hammer to fix.

Ill let the pics do the rest.
http://s1283.beta.photobucket.com/user/outdoors4me1/media/DSC00136_zps041a727b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s1283.beta.photobucket.com/user/outdoors4me1/media/DSC00135_zpscb6382d9.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s1283.beta.photobucket.com/user/outdoors4me1/media/DSC00134_zps923ccd52.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

had to pull out the stock ebrake. going to look through some junkyards in the up coming weeks to find a comanchee foot operated brake

I guess it can be and has been done but the MJ E-brake has a cable housing that loops around behind the kick panel, then along the door threshold, then crosses the drivers floor board and out the center/rear of the cab.

Its a weird set-up in a MJ so its gonna be real funky in a XJ

not really concerned with how the MJ cables are routed. I just need the foot lever. Ill probably end up making my own cables and run them up to where the original splitter was under the console

for the click lazy
DSC00136_zps041a727b.jpg

DSC00135_zpscb6382d9.jpg

DSC00134_zps923ccd52.jpg

I like the idea, ebrakes are not really needed for an automatic wheeling rig.

I rarely use mine either but if your rig is tagged in VA, you have to have the e-brake(and it needs to work) to pass the VA safety inspection.

I like the shifter set-up the OP has and I want one myself. One of the obstacles for me having one is where to put it.

I rarely use mine either but if your rig is tagged in VA, you have to have the e-brake(and it needs to work) to pass the VA safety inspection.

I like the shifter set-up the OP has and I want one myself. One of the obstacles for me having one is where to put it.

You could try a linelock for the rear for an Ebrake setup

I would prefer a linelock over anything if they were DOT legal for inspection. Ive never...ever used my ebrake other than when I put it on years ago to get it to pass one inspection. took it off to do this shifter, and ill worry about getting a sticker when that time comes

You could try a linelock for the rear for an Ebrake setup

I would prefer a linelock over anything if they were DOT legal for inspection. Ive never...ever used my ebrake other than when I put it on years ago to get it to pass one inspection. took it off to do this shifter, and ill worry about getting a sticker when that time comes

Correct, line locks are not approved in VA as an e-brake. E-brakes are designed to allow you to slow down slowly in case of a hydraulic brake failure. I lost brakes coming home from eastern shore MD to Roanoke VA, I used the E-brake for the 350 mile trip as I didn't have any tools and it was at night, nothing open. It wasn't too bad but I will never do it again.

any check engine lights? i remember reading that the the RADesign shifters would throw tranny codes
only gonna happen on a 97 or later. 96 and earlier you can drive around all day with the TCU or transmission unplugged and never get a CEL.

OP - looks great! Good luck finding an MJ pedal, and it's going to be annoying to route, but you already knew that.

Back