• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

installing rear leafs and one of the bolts stuck/stipped? PLEZ HELP!!!!!

MUKAK714

NAXJA Forum User
i am in the process of installing new Pro Comp leafs and having a problem removing one of the bolts holding the leaf to the body

i soaked everything with PB overnite

i got the front bolt to back up about 3/4 of an inch and now its just spinning.. i was trying to tighten it but it wont get tight either it just spins.. i also tried to use my electric impact gun also to no avail it just spins in both directions..

what do i do?

here is a pic
24g1rwx.jpg

Sometimes once the threads of the bolts get past the first inner threaded peice, they stop backing out because the screw is no longer engaging a threaded nut.

Pry the bolt out, you can use an oppropriately sized open end wrech, or any other kind pry bar.

Welcome to the site.

Sometimes once the threads of the bolts get past the first inner threaded peice, they stop backing out because the screw is no longer engaging a threaded nut.

Pry the bolt out, you can use an oppropriately sized open end wrech, or any other kind pry bar.

Welcome to the site.
pry? u mean apply outward pressure while trying to loosen the bolt? i tried that with a open wrench and a crow bar.. still just spins.. :(

It sounds like the weld nut in the frame rail broke off. Its pretty common, lots of us have been through this before. See if the bolt will move back in easily by tapping it with a hammer. If it bottoms out with hammer tapping then the weld nut is broken. Don't smack it fierce, because you will break the weld nut if it isn't already. If in fact it is broken, take a sawzall and cut the bolt on the inside of the leaf bushing. You can remove the outside part of the bolt and get the leaf out of your way, while the weld nut and inside of the bolt will just fall into the frame rail. You will then have to cut an access hole in the frame rail below the weld nut location so that you can put a new bolt and an open-end wrench up there for the new leaf.

Otherwise you might just have junk on the threads holding the bolt against the bushing sleeve. Seems unlikely given the way you describe it. If that's the case take the sawzall and cut the bolt on both sides of the bushing so that the leaf drops out, then worry about getting junk out.

Back