• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting backside of stiffeners

XJensen

NAXJA Forum User
I could not find an answer to this, maybe because it's a dumb question but I was wondering what everyone was doing. Or more importantly whats best.

1) Should I paint the back side of the stiffeners and frame rail removing the paint only where I will weld?

2) Use some weld through primer? I've heard mixed reviews on how well this actually works.

3) just weld it in and seal it up.

I am leaning toward option one and will seal everything with paint and silicon if and where necessary.

I just did a full seam weld on mine. No way for water to get in

Don't paint, you'll contaminate the welds and the paint may catch fire, melt and drip down into other spots, etc.

Maybe weld through primer.

Don't paint, you'll contaminate the welds and the paint may catch fire, melt and drip down into other spots, etc.

Maybe weld through primer.

that is what I was afraid of. I just started reading through some hot rod fourms and what not about weld through primer. Seems to be the way to go no doubt.

From what I read it will not burn, obviously, but will seal the two pieces together. The thing I didn't know is that it makes a crappy paint primer. It should be removed from any exposed primer and you need to use regular etching primer.

Back