• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 and 90 steering differences

nickguy

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know what is different about 89 and 90 power steering pumps?

On Rock Auto and other sites they list a different pump for those years than other Renix years.... Anyway just curious. I will explore the junkyard at some point to compare but wondered if anyone knew.

That's odd, I thought the PS on the 4.0 was the same 87-90. Can you see any visual differences?

I know at some point around the RENIX to HO switchover, they changed the reservoir design (and pressure hose hardline bending) but I thought it was 90-91, not 89-90. I "know" all the pumps bolt up to the brackets the same way 87-95, but haven't really worked with the pre-96 setup much other than swapping stock parts onto it or replacing it with the 96-up design since I hate the early tensioning setup.

Agreed on the tensioner setup... it is lame. So you have swapped in post 96 brackets to Renix manifolds??

BOTH of these pumps are listed on rockauto.com for the 88 AND 90 Cherokee 4.0:

88pspump.jpg

90pspump.jpg

Agreed on the tensioner setup... it is lame. So you have swapped in post 96 brackets to Renix manifolds??
Not quite - what I did was swap a 96/up tensioner, idler, PS pump, PS lines, and intake onto my 91. I *think* you could do it on a RENIX as well, not sure how the intake ports line up and you're going to have to do something about the throttle body and sensors and fuel injectors... if you want to do a 99+ intake manifold swap, doing that and the PS pump at the same time is a good plan since each requires the other AFAIK.

I wish it didn't require changing the intake manifold, the mounting bolt pattern for the PS pump/bracket on the intake is different between the 3 bolt 96+ setup and the 2 bolt 95- setup sadly. If someone knows a way to do it without swapping the intake, I'm all ears.

edit: the 96-up tensioner is still miserable, still easy to have the tensioner bolt seize and snap, but at least it's only 2 bolts instead of the terribad 3 bolts + tensioner draw bolt setup on the 95- that requires xray vision and a few extra elbows to get at things.

I was in the JY this weekend and pulled an 89 pump for my 90 RENIX w/pulley (for spare parts, $30). They look similar but for some reason I left it at the counter. Did the answers on this thread confirm/deny the OP's original question?

Also, what would be good storage procedures for such an item?

ive always ran a random pump from my 5 gallon bucket full of pumps. Never really noticed a difference.

Back