• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator questions

SBpunk

NAXJA Forum User
So this might have a little to do with OEM and modified but I figured with the upgraded alternator you guys could tell me if I'm an idiot or not.

I upgraded my alternator to a 136a but had some issues. Swapped out the plug then went to install. Bracket didnt fit. Not just the top with the bolt but the entire thing had to be grinded down. No biggie but started raises questions. Then I noticed that teh plug coming off the negative cable into the alternator had two wires sticking out the sides. My new alternator didnt have anywhere to attach these. Green/orange and green are the small wires coming out. So my question is what are these to and what damage is going to happen if they arent plugged in. I already started the XJ without any issues (none that werent there before hand) and drove it around. So im guessing its not life threatening. Thanks folks

The stock alternator had the two prong (not plug) with two other wires coming out the side. Im guessing its some type of ground but not sure

It had two grounds yeah, I guess they were trying to maximize current and adapting to the parts they picked. Newer alternators ground to the chassis I think, not really sure about it. You can cut that ground wire off, put an eye terminal on the end, and bolt it to the engine block. Grounds are the honey badger, they dont give a shit

Easily swap-able..

scaled.php

Swap it from your original alt.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1074015

scaled.php

Only the wire with the o-ring terminal to the left is the ground. The other is just a support. I had another "block" that I cut dissected. What I found is that the ground wire goes straight thru the block & exits to the wire/terminal visible on the left. I just cut the ground where it enters the block, crimped on a new o-ring terminal & mounted it to one of the bolts on the alternator casing. Cut the block right at the 90* angle (under the 2 green wires & above where the ground wire enters) & mounted it to the field coil terminal screws.

Easily swap-able..

scaled.php

Swap it from your original alt.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1074015

scaled.php

Only the wire with the o-ring terminal to the left is the ground. The other is just a support. I had another "block" that I cut dissected. What I found is that the ground wire goes straight thru the block & exits to the wire/terminal visible on the left. I just cut the ground where it enters the block, crimped on a new o-ring terminal & mounted it to one of the bolts on the alternator casing. Cut the block right at the 90* angle (under the 2 green wires & above where the ground wire enters) & mounted it to the field coil terminal screws.

Sweet exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again

Back