• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case swap questions

Jeepguy91

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Can anybody tell me if the t-case from an 89 xj will bolt up to a 95 xj? Didn't know when they started changing the spline counts.

Thanks
Ben

it can work just takes some effort. the splines are different 21 on the 89 and 23 on the 95 now you can swap inputs over but might have to swap the planatary outer gear as well due to a different gear cut on those.

depends, is the 89 an AX15 manual (should bolt into a 95 I think), a BA-10/5 manual (won't fit), or an AW4 auto (won't fit)?

You can completely disassemble the case and swap a 23 spline input gear into it as long as you use one from a 94.0 and earlier case as the donor, the 94.5 and later cases use a different low-range reduction gearset tooth profile/helix angle or something and won't mesh with the earlier planetary assemblies. So swapping a 95 input gear to an 89 won't work.

That's a good point. Last time I was that far inside a 231 case I couldn't figure out how to get the outer ring out of the housing after pulling the giant snapring, but others probably know more than I do. Swapping the outer ring, planetary assembly, and input gear would probably work.

Back