• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil smells of gas

MrAnderson

NAXJA Forum User
so i went romping thru the dunes yesterday and experianced some "heat soak" other than that nothing (u can see my thread on it, its still new)

anyways now ive noticed that my oil level is high (although the pressure is not?) and smells of gasoline... so im gonna see what i hae to do about checking the injectors for leaks but while my ass is suck at work i thought id drop a thread about it and see if anyone knows of a good direction i could be pointed for help
also how much damage im i doing driving it around like that? i start school tomorrow after work and wont be able to work on it till the weekend. however i can drop it off at a shop tomorrow before work if i need to

thanks,
mike

Well, it is rare but having an oil pan flash can happen if the fumes are great enough.

I would drain the oil and replace it with some cheap dino NOW, and worry about changing it again with a new filter when the problem is fixed.

I am surprised that "hot soak" or "heat soak" dumped that much fuel through your cylinder(s) that quickly.

uggh, i just changed it a few days ago. thk god i dont use royal purple. i dont have time to diagonse this myself :( looks like ill be paying some monkey witha wrench 60/hr to do it for me

A stuck injector can many times be fixed with a simple cleaning with BG44K in the gas.

You can figure out which cylinder pretty easy. Pull the plugs and do a plug reading. That way, you might be able to get away with changing only one injector.

While you are at it, do a wet/dry compression test. That will tell you if the cylinder wall wash down has done any major damage.

Well, it is rare but having an oil pan flash can happen if the fumes are great enough.

I would drain the oil and replace it with some cheap dino NOW, and worry about changing it again with a new filter when the problem is fixed.

I am surprised that "hot soak" or "heat soak" dumped that much fuel through your cylinder(s) that quickly.

I already told him he already has a miss fire, no fire or a leaking injector(s).

If there is enough gas in there it can wipe out the engine!!! Mine (78 Dodge V-*) did it and a few weeks later the oil pump died (intake screen got clogged with junk), then a few months later the bearings started knocking, and were gone. I think Old man (?-some one here) lost a cylinder driving on a trip once before he discovered the stuck injector. The injector wiped the oil off the walls and damaged the Cyl walls.

I would not drive it and wait. Get it to a shop, or rent or borrow a car till you can do it.

That gas can loosen all sorts of crap and dump it in bad places fast!

Back