• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help wiring my OTRATTW switches.

MJ3000

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I'm trying to figure out how to wire two switches. One is for the E-fan and the other is my KC driving/fog lights. The E-fan works...comes on with the switch. And that's basically it, the driving lights don't work. I have both illumination lights working; however the light that comes on when you switch it ON does not work either. I spliced into the orange wire that lights up the gear indicator for the illumination lights and it worked, but I have no clue to make the ON light work with this method.

And for the driving lights, I have no idea what connects to what. The KC lights came with a nice easy to run wire harness right up to the switch. They worked fine with the switch KC supplied, but as soon as I switched switches, nothing. So I know its the switch, not the lights themselves. The lights have a 3 wires coming into the cab....load, supply, earth. I don't know how to match that up to the incoming, outgoing, and how or where to get power to light up everything else at.

IMAG0887_zpse67754f8.jpg

IMAG0891_zps252b01d0.jpg

IMAG0890_zpsb2dbb799.jpg

Are you using relays?

I jumped 7 to 8. 6 tapped into cigarette lighter, so the backlight is on all the time. I think I had #2 fused direct from battery, and of course #3 went to the Fitch box relays.

So turn ign on, back lights come on. Flip switch, indicator light comes on. This switches the relay, when has its own separate fused power source, ground, and fused circuits. This then supplies power to the accessory, which has its own ground.

Don't know if it matters for your application, but on mine the upper light is the backlight, and the lower light "bar" is the indicator. You picture makes it look like the switches are both "on", and the issue is no backlight. Can't tell by your wiring picture.

Can you get a better picture of the wiring and then label it?

Also look into quick disconnects since you mounted to the console. If you ever wanna take it out, is nice to have a disconnect.

5y7anyvy.jpg

Looks like in this pic you don't have a ground Hooked up to the upper light on either switch. You can jump them from the 8pin for a common ground.

NCCherokee, the driving lights came with relays integrated into the harness and the e fan I just went without relays, I was scared it would throw a CEL but I lucked out. :D But I'm going to tear into this tonight, your explanation of what you did will help tremendously to figure out where I might have to go.

Where can I get one of those panels they look awesome!

http://otrattw.com/ Great guys to deal with. :thumbup:

Update: I got the E fan working 100% now. It comes on with the switch and both lights work as they should. I had to confirm on otrattw to see that the top light was the ON/OFF one.

I still can't figure out why my lights aren't working, I'm thinking I have a dirty connection or ground somewhere maybe. When I connect the wires as souske's instruction, I still get nothing, even with the KC switch now...and when I take my test light to see if the supply wire has juice, nothing. However, the 3A fuse on the supply wire does indeed have power on one terminal, but once it reaches the cab, it's dead. Am I suppose to have power on the supply line in the cab all the time? I'll go through and clean all connections and grounds but after that I don't have many ideas.

Light diagram:
http://www.kchilites.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/6315-web.pdf

Update: I got the E fan working 100% now. It comes on with the switch and both lights work as they should. I had to confirm on otrattw to see that the top light was the ON/OFF one.

I still can't figure out why my lights aren't working, I'm thinking I have a dirty connection or ground somewhere maybe. When I connect the wires as souske's instruction, I still get nothing, even with the KC switch now...and when I take my test light to see if the supply wire has juice, nothing. However, the 3A fuse on the supply wire does indeed have power on one terminal, but once it reaches the cab, it's dead. Am I suppose to have power on the supply line in the cab all the time? I'll go through and clean all connections and grounds but after that I don't have many ideas.

Light diagram:
http://www.kchilites.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/6315-web.pdf
I'm betting the fuse on your KC light is blown.

My friend had this same problem with his KC lights we went to move the switch and they stopped working. traced everything back and it turned out the supplied inline fuse holder for the switch had bad crimps. replaced the fuse holder and they came right on. check that out

Back