• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! Windshield wiper bushings

br1anstorm

NAXJA Forum User
This is a plea for help in sourcing the parts I need.

The wipers on my 1993 XJ have gradually gone slack. When it's wet, they hit the windshield trim. When it's dry, they park halfway up the screen. This seems to be a widespread and familiar problem.

There is also a well-known solution, described in several threads including this one http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84377 . It is a simple matter of removing the motor and replacing the plastic bushings on the wiper arms.

Replacement bushings aren't available separately from Jeep dealers. But Dorman Help (aka Motormite?) do make a kit of bushings for XJ wipers, part no #49445. This kit is widely obtainable from any of the usual auto parts shops like Autozone, Advance Auto etc. (There is also a kit #49447 with a larger selection of bushings for other vehicles as well as XJs).

Now here's the problem. I'm in the UK, and this little Dorman kit isn't available over here. In the US it costs between $5 and $9 (even Amazon lists it!). But the shipping and delivery cost to UK is quoted at around $25...which is ridiculous!!

There's a further hit this end in that for any item whose value including shipping is over about $20, the British Customs slaps a further charge of import duty and customs dues on the total value. Which makes the total cost close to $50......for three little plastic bushings!

I just don't see the sense in paying a huge amount to Amazon/Rock Auto or whoever for delivery of this tiny package to UK , and also paying as much again to UK Customs for little bits of plastic that only cost a few dollars.

So...... here's my plea. Is there any kind NAXJA member and forum reader over there in the US who would be willing to do me a favour and drop into their local parts store, pick up this little kit of plastic bits, put it in a padded Jiffy-bag envelope or similar and send it by regular USPS mail to me in UK? I'm very happy to pay (via PayPal or whatever) the full cost of the kit and the postage.

Please PM me if you are able to help, and we can then liaise directly over address details etc.

Thanks (in advance....)

br1anstorm

I have a write up on here with part numbers and replacement instruction. I will try to find it.

Edit; should have read further into your post. That is a ridiculous shipping price for a few pieces of plastic

Bump....

I've just been checking. Either the #49445 or the #49447 kit of plastic bushings has the parts for the XJ. Interestingly, although the #49447 is a bigger kit with a wider assortment of parts, it seems to be cheaper (perhaps because it is more widely stocked and sold?).

Can anybody help me out on this?

br1anstorm

Br1an- Have you looked at Rockauto.com? I'm seeing 49447, the bigger assortment, for only $2.70 USD. See what it would cost to buy and ship them, and if still prohibitive, shoot me a PM, and I'll see what I can do. I'm in the market for a mid-'70s MGB, and you may be knowledgeable on that front. Lucas Electrics and all...

Heyhar! Thanks for picking up on this (we have had forum dialogue before on other XJ issues).

I use Rock Auto for reference. Just like other suppliers, they kill you with the international delivery charges. I have occasionally gritted my teeth and ordered hard-to-find small valuable items for my Fiero (eg headlamp-lifting motors), and paid the outrageous shipping because there seemed no other way.

Just to reveal the grim details, I just checked the Rock Auto site. For the Jeep-only kit of bushings, Dorman #49445, the cost is $7.04 and shipping to UK $38.76. You're right, the bigger kit of assorted bits, #49447, costs only $2.79, but Rock wants $44.52 for shipping that to UK. Crazy or what? Amazon.com (the US site) does it a fraction cheaper, but still $25-plus for delivery to UK. Amazon.co.uk, the British operation, doesn't do auto parts at all.

So..... a PM is on its way!

If I recall correctly, it was about eight or nine years ago I had to re-bush the linkage on my '92's wipers, and I'm remembering that it was the larger kit that had the proper pieces, needing to use the wrong (according to the kit) bushings in order to do the job. I'm thinking that it wouldn't be more than a few bucks to mail you the parts, certainly less than the forty or so that the suppliers are quoting. I'll look for your PM.

I was asked by a potential buyer for a bicycle seat post to ship to Canada. I am selling the post for $30 and the shipping via USPS is close to $35!

Br1an- Have you looked at Rockauto.com? I'm seeing 49447, the bigger assortment, for only $2.70 USD. See what it would cost to buy and ship them, and if still prohibitive, shoot me a PM, and I'll see what I can do. I'm in the market for a mid-'70s MGB, and you may be knowledgeable on that front. Lucas Electrics and all...

Question: Why do the English drink warm beer?

Answer: Lucas refrigeration.

On topic--I shipped an XJ cupholder to a Naxja friend in Spain.

As you have found out shipping is TERRIBLE. However, I met with my local postmaster--good guy--and he found a CHEAP postal rate, but I don't remember the details.

Go and talk to your local postmaster.

Yeah-Fifty bucks for three dollars worth of parts! I'm curious to see what it'll cost to send little bits of plastic to GB.

Wonder how a blown Pinto engine from a turbo T-Bird would fit in a B?

Yeah-Fifty bucks for three dollars worth of parts! I'm curious to see what it'll cost to send little bits of plastic to GB.

Wonder how a blown Pinto engine from a turbo T-Bird would fit in a B?

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on a MGB GT V8. Of course, I would have to shave my hairy backside and use a couple tubs of butter to get my buttocks to slip in.

This thread seems to have taken a sideways turn into re-engine options for MGBs! Hey, it's all good fun.

But some of the more outlandish transplants need a crowbar and welding torch to get them into place in the MGB engine bay. All kinds of butchered MGBs and other Brit sports cars here. A guy in Ontario has a Ford 5.0 block in his 'B. See the pics here. Ugly or what?

Of course supercharging is another option - like this.

Ah well, back to the problem of fixing the Jeep wipers.....now where's that tub of butter?

Are you sure the bushings are bad? When I pulled my '94 apart to change the bushings I found that the spot welds that hold the wiper motor to the bracket had all rusted out. I ended up drilling out the rusted holes and putting in sheet metal screws.

Did you find someone to mail the bushings?

One of the best things I ever did to my '93 considering the time and cost.

Re: HELP! Windshield wiper bushings (and other hard-to-get spares)

Thanks, Pelican - one of the NAXJA regulars, heyhar, kindly offered to send me the kit of plastic bits. The package hasn't reached UK yet, but it's apparently on its way.

It's a struggle keeping my XJ in good shape when parts are hard to find locally and shipping charges from US suppliers (like Rock, Quadratec etc) are so outrageous.

I don't know how I'd manage without the NAXJA community - someone is always willing to help out either with advice or by sending me the parts. I try not to make too many requests, but with a 20-year-old vehicle maintenance is a constant task...

I have a constant "wish list" of spares needed. For example I have just managed to source a pair of decent rear leaf springs from a local junkyard, but my latest "want" is a pair of shackles for them (#52000507). So any offers to send those - in return for full payment of course - would be welcome!

br1anstorm

I reckon that if I start a thread I ought eventually to finish it .... whether the outcome is success or failure.

This one's a success. Thanks to NAXJA. First, for the forum advice which revealed that fixing floppy wipers was a simple matter of changing out the plastic bushings. Second, for the kindness of a regular Naxja member, heyhar, who responded to my call for help and kindly mailed to me in the UK the replacement plastic bushings, for a fraction of the delivery cost quoted by Rock Auto or Amazon.

So today I fixed the floppy wipers. Not a difficult job. But I couldn't have done it without the how-to advice and pictures, and the necessary spare parts. I'm grateful for both.

Glad to hear it worked out for ya!

I'll send you a picture of my '73 MGB when I get it home...and then I'll be asking you questions. Like 'Why didn't you tell me I'm nuts, and try to talk me out of it'!

Back