• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauges stopped working... help! =)

AdamGBabcock

NAXJA Forum User
Hi NAXJA! Been a long time, just got back into the jeep world again. Having an issue and hoping someone might be able to advise. I am in a ZJ now, not an XJ but this question is pretty 12v basic. Happened on the way to work so I haven't had time to mess around or surf the forums

1997 Grand Cherokee Limited

Couldn't get the stock stereo to accept a CD all the way so I was using.a box knife to shove on the CD. All my dummy lights came on and now the gauges don't work! Wtf lol. Here's what I've assessed:

These still work:
-Gauge Illumination
-Headlights and switch
-Foglights and dash button
-Seat heater controls on dash
-Rear defrost button
-Headlight indicator and ABS light are the only indicators that work
-Stereo... lol
-Heater controls and illumination
-Heads up display or whatever that screen is that shows door ajar etc
-Sunroof and switch

These are misbehaving:
-Mileage... doesn't show digital mileage on cluster
-Check engine/parking brake/low oil lights etc all don't light up except ABS, headlights on indicator and turn signals.
-Gauges... all stay at bottom
-Overhead mileage and temp display... compass and time still work, all the fuel economy and mileage stuff and thermometer all show as dashes...

That's all I know for now... checking fuses on first break. Any help is much appreciated

Will be checking all fuses under the hood tomorrow. Checked IOD tonight and it is good. After that I suppose the dash comes apart. Any other insight before I waste too much time on electrical gremlins?

Thanks for replies and suggestion

Found some wires poking through the back side of the stereo... problem solved. Thanks for responses. Dash didn't take near as long as I expected to take apart

Back