• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anybody actually installed a set of Hooligan Off road tube fenders?

Avanteone

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody installed a set of these?

http://shop.hooliganoffroadengineering.com/XJ-Full-Set-of-Tube-Fenders-XJ-Fender-Full-Set.htm

The product quality and fitment is absolutely horrendous. If I had spent this type of money on a product that fit like this, I'd swallow my pride and pay the freight to ship it back. This is a customers rig though, and he wants to keep them. You can't have a countersunk hole in sheet metal, there isn't enough material for the bolt to hold, especially when you're pulling the fender into the flare as they don't fit correctly. The countersunk part of the bolt goes through the two layers of sheet metal and the nut bottoms on them before even being tight. The fenders on an XJ are rounded, these flares are not. The brakes on these fenders appear to have been done in a vise, not in the proper equipment. The cut/radius at the door opening is nowhere near a match. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea and the look, but if this is something you're considering purchase, be advised there is LOTS of extra time required to make them fit even decent, and even then the contours aren't right. I'm hoping this is something the vendor can improve on, for sure! The instructions sure are written with a sense of humor, though.

John

004-14.jpg

005-8.jpg

006-6.jpg

007-9.jpg

008-9.jpg

009-8.jpg

010-6.jpg

Last edited:
Not every XJ body is exactly the same. Or he may have had an issue he didn't realize when building them. Bolt on isn't always as bolt on as we'd like.

Glad I saw this, was considering these in the future. May just look at jeep tubes. Anyone else make something similar?

Those don't really look like they help as far as uptravel either...I could bend a lot of tube and destroy it before I spent 650 on fenders :) depending on if its steel or aluminum it's time to break out a dolly and a hammer and contour it by hand... Swap out the bolts and use washers

Those don't really look like they help as far as uptravel either...I could bend a lot of tube and destroy it before I spent 650 on fenders :) depending on if its steel or aluminum it's time to break out a dolly and a hammer and contour it by hand... Swap out the bolts and use washers

We swapped the bolts, using button head bolts now instead of those dished ones. The fronts are on, rears will go on Monday. I'll post up more pics then.

Ok so they could have had a problem and these got thru.Then i'll hold off till i hear more about these from other people before i say or do anything.I know stuff happens all the time and they don't know till somebody tells them about it.

But thank you for the heads up on this.

Avanteone, correct me if I'm wrong, but were you a distributor of Thor products or was that someone else?

The Jeeptubes.com flares website used to say they were built on Thor guards . and used to sell the tube and the quarter guards w light boxes seperately so you could weld them yourself.

looks like they changed the site and it no longer says they're thor guards .
And they either sell just the tube or a complete welded fender flare w/ tail light guards. but not just the 1/4 guards ?
seems weird .

I just sent them an E-mail asking about this

WOW what a fast Reply !

From Jeeptubes.com:

Thank you for the email. We do still sell sell the THOR corners and front skins. The rears are made out of 10g steel and the fronts are made out if 16g. As far as purchasing just the skins and the tubes separately, under fenders you click the cornered and you now have selected the armor. If you wanted a flare already welded onto the armor you then would select the size of flare. The tube is also u see fenders, you scroll down to Cherokee front or rear flares. If you have any questions please call or email us. Tim

Last edited:
Sometimes you just need to build your own shit.

180 for a pair aint bad for the jeeptubes ones. hard to do it yourself for less than that.

180 is two sticks of 1.5x.120 DOM tubing, combine that and a couple hours, and it is very easy to do yourself for less than that.

As far as all cherokee's being slightly differant at the body, this isnt a hand built ferrari, those fenders are stamped on a production line. Is there sometimes a 1/16 -1/8 shim? Sure, but those are mfg defects....

Sometimes you just need to build your own shit.

180 is two sticks of 1.5x.120 DOM tubing, combine that and a couple hours, and it is very easy to do yourself for less than that.

As far as all cherokee's being slightly differant at the body, this isnt a hand built ferrari, those fenders are stamped on a production line. Is there sometimes a 1/16 -1/8 shim? Sure, but those are mfg defects....
I suppose if you have free access to a bender for the tube and a brake for the quarter armor bends.

When. I did my 2x6 hd rocker replacement I ordered The outer tube step from aj's because. Benders and dies aren't. Cheap

That is how all of the Hooligans stuff is. I dont know how that place ever became a sucessfull shop with some of the quality I have seen.

Back