• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cooling issues

rockthrasherxj

NAXJA Forum User
so i have a 92 4.0 and while moving my temp gauge reads 210 where it should be. while at a stop it reads around 140. i have replaced the t stat did a heater valve delete so coolant always goes through the heater core. has a zj hd fan clutch that is new. water pump is new ish around a few years old. radiator is about same age. any thoughts on why this would be like this instead of opposite? thanks

It is likely a bad thermostat.

Should be running a standard 195 degree thermostat (unless you are a tweaker and know what you are doing). Purchase a Stant Superstat or a NAPA Premium--same thermostat.

its a brand new napa 195 t stat

Why did you change the T-Stat. How long have you had this problem?

I have switched to Murray T-stats (O'Reily's) they have the jiggler valve and they are "Made in Israel"!!! Not China!

There have been resent complaints about Stant T-stats, bad out of the box here.

ive had a low temp prob for a while and my heater sucked so i did a heater control valve delete so while i had the system open i changed it all did all new hoses and fixed the water neck leak i had and im a while im in there i might as well kinda guy.

Have you verified the T-stat housing temperature with Infrared tester?

Dash gauges are not that reliable. Just want to make sure you going after the right problem. That rear head sensor can get an air pocket under itthat gives false readings (maybe at idle). And the dash gauges and grounds are sometimes iffy.

You may need to back flush and descale the heater core if it is still cold.

Back