• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Built D30 & C8.25 Price Check

NOTNSUV

You Guys ROCK!
I'm hoping one of you experienced folks might give me a quick price check on what it would cost to build these diffs and/or a good price on the setup used. It's a hurry up deal or I'd do the legwork myself. Found them for sale and are about exactly what I'm after for my '99 XJ project.
Critique as well if you see something you don't like about these. I don't know if the compressor might be included but will ask.

Thanks in advance.

Front Axle
high-pinion Dana 30 out of '98 Jeep Cherokee XJ
4.56 gears
ARB
Warn Manual hub kit
one spare hub (new)
4340 chromoly inner and outer shafts
Spicer 760 u-joints with full circle clips
tubes sleeved and passenger side UCA mount plated for strength
HD LCA mounts with skids
HD diff guard

Rear Axle
Chrysler 8.25 out of 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
4.56 gears
ARB
Yukon 1541h alloy shafts (29-spline)
one stock spare shaft
Teraflex rear disc brakes
1" billet aluminum wheel spacers (to match width of front axle with hubs)
raised shock mounts
shaved bottom
HD diff guard

I'll give ya the same answer on here that I did on Cherokee Forum

The amount you will spend on those axles you can build a better stronger axle
like a D44/8.8 Combo or a D44/9" , D44/D60, D44/14B, D60/D60, D60/14B

I was seriously considering buying that rear axle and IMO it is a deal for what you are getting. If you took the time to price it all out, not including labor to set it up it is apparent you would be spending a lot more than the asking price to do it yourself. Sure you could probably build something for cheaper, but if you want an ARB, that's gonna run you $800+, gears & install around $500, aftermarket shafts, etc....
Just my opinion on it, ultimately it's up to you whether or not its worth it and whether it will suit your needs.

My guess is $1300-1500 for both if you are buying used and the guy is trying to sell quickly. It would cost lots more to do it yourself. The ARBs and gears alone are worth it.

What is he asking?

Build:
D30: Warn hub kit is $1100 new, gears are $600 installed, shafts are $400, tube sleeves are $200, ARB is $700. Your time to build, weld, and pay tax = more.
Rear 8.25: ARB is $700, shafts are $250, gears are $600 installed, disks are $200 from junkyard. Your time to build and pay tax = more.

Just for a different perspective/experience:

-I can't find a D30 ARB listed anyplace for less than $800 (more like $850 and up)

-In this part of the country, places/people that know how to set up a differential correctly are fewer...and priced accordingly. $800-1000/diff for gears/set up kit/labor.

If you're ready to shoot the money gun at your differentials anyways, I think these are a good buy if they're half price (generally, used is half the price of new).

My guess is $1300-1500 for both if you are buying used and the guy is trying to sell quickly. It would cost lots more to do it yourself. The ARBs and gears alone are worth it.

What is he asking?

Build:
D30: Warn hub kit is $1100 new, gears are $600 installed, shafts are $400, tube sleeves are $200, ARB is $700. Your time to build, weld, and pay tax = more.
Rear 8.25: ARB is $700, shafts are $250, gears are $600 installed, disks are $200 from junkyard. Your time to build and pay tax = more.
I agree, if the stuff is in good shape then you are at about $1300-1500.

I'll give ya the same answer on here that I did on Cherokee Forum

The amount you will spend on those axles you can build a better stronger axle
like a D44/8.8 Combo or a D44/9" , D44/D60, D44/14B, D60/D60, D60/14B

I asked on a different forum - but not here - no APP here & I've become lazy with my first smart phone so haven't been here much - whether a Ford 9" was a good option for an XJ. No answers until I see it here. I have one behind the shop in 4.10. Not sure if it's high or low pinion and it's below 0F here and it's under snow. Is a 9" an option?
So..
I looked around in the forum and see a pretty lenghty discussion on the 9". Since I have one I don't need to argue 8.8 vs 9" but would like to find a build on one for a 99 XJ.. I'll try a search but would be grateful for someone pointing me at the how to, how much, how difficult.. I'm sure it's out of an '80s F150.. been years since I pulled it for my GS Stage 1 (where I ended up with a built 12-bolt). Most likely open diff and I "think" low pinion.. is there a high-pinion 9"?

I appreciate the opinions on pricing but I'm not getting the $1300-1500 even if it's half price for used. The totals that have been listed for the most part are 3000 front/1750 year, not including HD covers and other odds 'n ends. That's near $5000 if covers, etc. are added and 1/2 of that is $2500.. not the 1350 - 1600. ??
Of course if I could talk him down to that he'd have a MO in hand by morning but the discussion has taken place and that price is not happening.

He's been kind enough to give me time to decide so I'm still checking options (hence my questions about the 9" Ford) so keep it coming if you have more to add.

Much appreciated.

Front Axle
high-pinion Dana 30 out of '98 Jeep Cherokee XJ
4.56 gears $250+$200-250 install
ARB $800
Warn Manual hub kit $1000
one spare hub (new)
4340 chromoly inner and outer shafts $400
Spicer 760 u-joints with full circle clips $40
tubes sleeved and passenger side UCA mount plated for strength - no sure. $100?
HD LCA mounts with skids $50ish+
HD diff guard $75ish+

Total-ish: $2,965ish

Rear Axle
Chrysler 8.25 out of 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
4.56 gears $250 install $200-250
ARB $800
Yukon 1541h alloy shafts (29-spline) $300?
one stock spare shaft
Teraflex rear disc brakes $400
1" billet aluminum wheel spacers (to match width of front axle with hubs) $100
raised shock mounts $25
shaved bottom
HD diff guard $75ish

Total-ish: $2,200

Totalish total: $5,165ish

Prices are rough estimates. Eric will be giving you one hell of a deal.

^^^ look in the quote for prices and info.

Re: Built D30 & C8.25 Price Check

^^^ look in the quote for prices and info.

Thanks for doing the "ish-work" for me!!

I won't be hammering this thing unless my 18 yr. old GRANDSON insists on me going out with him in his XJ and have plans for only 33s now but could adjust my attitude to 35s.. I want to be able to chain it up in snow, hammer it to get the job done elk hunting but not purpose built for the rocks. Also need to drive it 500 miles at any time at any speed. Lockers might be overkill but how cool will it be chained up? Years of experience with tire chains before tires became what they are today..

'99XJ Sport. 3.5" DPG/OME Super Ultimate, JKS Adj. UCA/LCA, JKS discos, JCR Stage III sliders, tire carrier rear, Xfer skid, gastank skid, AJs PHAT XJ w/Warn XD9000i, VisionX Optimus LED

I have basically the same axles minus the hub kit on the front, and I've been pondering parting out the jeep. I'd cut them up for scrap metal before I sold them for $1500.

Just an update: I jumped on Eric'sXJ D30/C8.25. I thought the price was very fair. So far I'm loving the torque. Still need to install a compressor for the ARB lockers. That will be a hoot. Will move to 33s in the future and maybe a 4:1 231 kit.

Haha, didn't know it was his axles you were talking about, but should have I guess. I talked to him a while ago about selling those things. Can you PM me what you paid? Just interested in what I could get for mine.

Back