• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odometer is no longer accurate - 2000 XJ

clunk

NAXJA Forum User
The trip odometer in my 2000 XJ is no longer working accurately. I get drastically different trip odometer readings on the drive out vs return taking the exact same route. I've observed this on 8hr highway trips and also my short commute. What would cause this? Is it causing my speedo to read wrong as well?

3.07's behind a NV3550 with 235/75/15

I know that the slightly larger tires will affect the speedo and odometer, but that isn't the problem - trying to figure out why I'm getting different readings on the odometer for the exact same trips!

i have heard many people say that even though they came from factory with 215's or 225's, the speedo actually read faster than actual speed and that running 235's actually evened it out, as far as the misreading on the odometer, it could be a bad speed sensor?

but i'm just throwing out ideas here, hopefully someone who actually knows something will chime in, cause i certainly can't give you anymore than speculation

bad or dirty speedo sensor, or damaged speedo gear.

that would affect the speedometer operation as well.

I know that our 01 the LCD display itself is a little wonky, it repeats numbers and such likes ghosts.

It's probably weak diodes or something, I'm not touchig it as long as it's functional, but it's possibly something similar on yours.

I'd double check the speedometer with a GPS, if it's working properly and consistently it's not likely anything to do with the VSS in the case and much more likely something in the cluster itself.

How much of a difference are you seeing from the two trips?
There's been no consistent difference percent wise but after a 650 mile highway trip the odometer was short 68 miles on the return (exact same route). On shorter trips where I am taking the same route (for example going to the ski hill and coming home) I've noticed as much as an 6 mile difference in a short 20 mile commute.

I only noticed this when tracking my gas mileage and it all of a sudden seemed to plummet through the floor. I don't really use the odometer for any other reason except for tracking fuel consumption

Maybe a worn or near stripped speedo gear.

Back