• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf spring hitting frame

mako my day

NAXJA Forum User
My new 4.5 RE leaf springs have a bit of an issue.
I loaded up the jeep with camping gear for 4 days, and while driving, the rear leaf spring shackle mount hits the frame, HARD. I am using my stock shackles, and unloaded, the jeep drives great.
Loaded, the shackles are mounted in the frame, and pointed towards the back. That is where the leaf smacks the frame.

Any thoughts??

When the spring hits the frame, there is still 4-5 inches of clearance between the diff and the stock bump stop.

I guess I should have originally bought the 3.5" leafs, and boomerang shackles to match the 4.5 inch coils and 2" spacers.

My main issue is I leave Friday morning for a desert trip.

this is why taller lifts usually achieve the lift using springs AND shackles. the higher arched leaf spring just flattens out longer when compressed.

there are some companies that make fairly short (.75" lift) boomerang shackles which might help ya out without adding too much extra height.

jeep comanche shackles add about 1/2" of lift too and MIGHT help you clear it.

yes, buy new centering pins ahead of time.
Pull the leafs apart, if they are rusty/full of crud clean up and repaint.
May as well add some dry graphite while you are in there.
Remove one leaf from the pack, a little trial and error to determine which one will get you where you want. ( Pulling the second from the bottom worked well for me, and netted me -2" of lift)

Add some boomerangs, they will keep the shackle from hitting the shackle box. while you are in there, pull the one bumper bolt that goes into the shackle box, and trim it so it doesnt hit the shackle anymore

yes, buy new centering pins ahead of time.
Pull the leafs apart, if they are rusty/full of crud clean up and repaint.
May as well add some dry graphite while you are in there.
Remove one leaf from the pack, a little trial and error to determine which one will get you where you want. ( Pulling the second from the bottom worked well for me, and netted me -2" of lift)

Add some boomerangs, they will keep the shackle from hitting the shackle box. while you are in there, pull the one bumper bolt that goes into the shackle box, and trim it so it doesnt hit the shackle anymore

Nice, thanks! I'll put the boomerangs on this week and wheel it this weekend. Leaf pack dis assembly to start next week some time.

Front direct experience with the RE 4.5 leafs... they will settle to 4.5 or 4 after time, so don't remove a leaf now if they're still new and making your rig sit too tall. It took a couple wheeling trips on mine to get everything settled to 4.5... they sat about 6" or so over stock when I first installed them. They're designed with the fact that leafs settle in after a while, so they're SUPPOSED to be a little tall when you first put them on... so hopefully when they settle they give you the advertised ride height... rather than other leafs that sit correct when you first install them and sag an inch or two over time.

Back