• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

just a little hydro...

premoxj

NAXJA Forum User
finally got it all fabbed up and installed today. i cant believe i dragged my feet so long on this mod, what a difference! all in all, it was a pretty easy mod. only real PITA was taking apart the box and putting all the ball bearings back in. anyways, here it is. cant wait to try it out in the desert this next weekend..

19182_10200460261088036_67460354_n.jpg

yea, that's the plan. i couldnt get them in time for the run this weekend. hopefully it holds up, if not, i have some plugs in the glove box for the box. i'm going to slowly articulate the suspension with someone watching and see how it does..

some u-bolts welded to some 1/4" channel cut to fit, welded on tabs on the under side, all welded to place on the drag link. its not going anywhere. want me to text you over some photos dude?

45deg fittings and shorter lines are on order and in transit. I need to track down a WJ pump too...the stock one blows. not enough flow/volume for everything. still way better then before though, but need a new pump. its been shitting out since i bought it anyways. lol

worked it REAL hard all weekend long and performed flawlessly. Brought extra 90 degree (not sure why i typed 45) fittings wtih me just incase but had about a mile of room when i stuffed the axle into the fender so didnt have to switch out. i was able to turn the wheel in the deep rocks when the other guys in my group were hung up. great feeling to say the least! :)

highly recommend this mod to anyone! i'm not sure why i waited to long to finish this one up...

some u-bolts welded to some 1/4" channel cut to fit, welded on tabs on the under side, all welded to place on the drag link. its not going anywhere. want me to text you over some photos dude?

45deg fittings and shorter lines are on order and in transit. I need to track down a WJ pump too...the stock one blows. not enough flow/volume for everything. still way better then before though, but need a new pump. its been shitting out since i bought it anyways. lol

Can you send me some photos of the other side?

Better-then-tom - i just shot you over a PM with my info and answers to your questions. email or txt me and i can show you pictures of my brackets. i ordered the ram from Surplus center along with all my fittings. i got the hoses thru Grainger. i have a 4' on there now but need to switch out to the 3' hose i just bought, just havent done it yet. probably do that when i blow out a line or something since it works fine and all lol same goes for the 90deg fittings i got ;) anyways, the ram works just as fine as a PSC but a fraction of the cost. there was some other misc stuff like fasteners and weld on tabs you can get from ORW or IMS.

I know I'm on the wrong coast,:wave1: but can you PM me pics too? I've been doing some research on this and am about ready to do it. It looks like you have the Currie Correctlync and just replaced the steering stabilizier. Is that right?

The bracket you made on the drag link, does the ram run parallel with the drag link? It looked to me that the stabilizer doesn't, so I'm assuming the bracket would have to be built so it does???

Thanks for the info!

hey bud - shoot me over your email and i'll send you over some pics. i ran it parellel with the drag link. if i had a one piece tie rod and a better place to mount it where it wouldnt be a rock anchor i would have mounted it to the tie rod...this setup worked better for what i'm running though. i ran it real hard for a day and a half this last weekend and had no problems.

and that's correct, i have the Curry HD setup. I cut off the bracket for the stabilizer and welded a piece of 3x4 (or something around that size) 1/4 plate steel to the lower part of the spring perch and axle then welded on some tabs. drag link side is just some 3x4 1/4 angle iron trimmed with tabs welded on. be careful with your angles on this and triple check everything because it runs very close to the track bar. if you angle it up to high you risk hitting your oil pan. just a heads up :)

here is the thread that show's which port is high and which is low on the box
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/HydroAssistTap/index.html

Here is a thread that will show you which parts to use from Surplus Center. i used an 8" ram, do your homework on your ram size adn adjust your bump stops accordingly. i'm not shimming or spacing my ram, it hasnt exploded my steering. no your steering and when to stop turning your wheel lol
http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?25303-Cheap-Hydro-Assist

Find a website that shows you how to rebuild the box for after you tap it. use a 1/4 NPT tap and matching drill bit.

i'll upload pictures later on of my brackets.

Last edited:
whatever's easiest for you bud. that was honestly the hardest part of the whole thing. it really wasnt that hard, more annoying trying to sort out the different colored ball bearings with the really bad color blindness and all. LOL

Yeah, the only thing holding me back is being a cheap bastid. :D

I have a drill press so it's just a matter of figuring out a jig to hold it and buying the bit, tap and rebuild kit.

Back