• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another heater blower motor question

Mike Mike

NAXJA Forum User
1985 with the 2.5.
Did lots of searching. Apparently have the opposite symptoms from everyone else.
Blower motor runs at the same low speed on all fan switch settings. Pulled the motor and blew 25 years of dust bunnies out, drilled the rear bushing and oiled it up. Runs about the same. Has 12v to motor at all switch settings.
What should we be looking at besides the fan switch??

12V in all settings tells me the switch or resistor has failed-- it should only be a full 12V on high and lower values with slower settings. I would renew the ground circuit to get a full speed fan, and then troubleshoot the switch and resistor to determine the lack of lower current settings.

Resister is under glove box right over where your feet are on passenger side. Resistor is flat on surface & has 4 wires & 2 hex srews holding it on heater box. This is a common problem.

Okay I found this thread and a few more but none are exatly my problem. Before I go out in the rain and work on this thing, I figure I would ask! My blower (heat or AC) only works on the high setting. On 1, 2 or 3 you can feel air kinda falling out of the vents, but nothing really pushing it. However setting 4 (highest setting) blows like a $10 hooker when rent is due.

Any ideas? I assume it isn't clogged and it isn't intermittent so it seems the voltage is getting there. Who knows though.

2001 4.0 auto with 140,000 miles.

Pull the resistor out and check it. Takes about 10 minutes if you have the passenger cover on, less than 5 if not. Sounds like a failing resistor to me. When mine failed, it was cause rust ate through the coils. It's possible yours has some form of corrosion causing an increase in resistance and bringing the amperage going to the motor way down.

Okay I found this thread and a few more but none are exatly my problem. Before I go out in the rain and work on this thing, I figure I would ask! My blower (heat or AC) only works on the high setting. On 1, 2 or 3 you can feel air kinda falling out of the vents, but nothing really pushing it. However setting 4 (highest setting) blows like a $10 hooker when rent is due.

Any ideas? I assume it isn't clogged and it isn't intermittent so it seems the voltage is getting there. Who knows though.

2001 4.0 auto with 140,000 miles.

classic symptoms of a bad resistor-- the only setting where the resistor is bypassed is when it's on high. Pull it and replace it-- just remember that a bad blower motor can (and will) cause a resistor to overheat and fail.... again.

So I need to change my oil, figure I'll go to autozone and get what I need. While I'm there I'll pick up a resister if it's not too much. On the way, the switch starts working again! Guess it knew I was going to throw it away!

Whatever, I changes the oil and now I know it's $40 if I need to do it later. Thanks all.

Back