• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best spot for spare

h0t4r0d

NAXJA Forum User
Don't know if I'm on the right forum, am a newbie. Just purchased a 98 XJ with extensive mods, would like to open discussion for location of spare. Have considered roof rack, but am concerned about center of gravity. Don't think rear swing away is what I want, had that on both my TJ's. considering fabing something for inside cargo area. Want the rear seat to remain up, and tire size is 35" on 15x8 black steelie. Thinking something kind of prerunner looking so spare will fit. Any imput would be great. Im one of those "measure twice cut once" kind of guys. Thanks in advance.

swing away is definitely the way to go.....it's the most practical in terms of ease of access as well as cargo space management......

for example, imagine being stuck and with a flat in just such a way that your rear hatch won't open.....can't see pulling that 35 inch spare through your front door....can you?

There are also hitch receiver tire carrier's. Not sure if any are built to hold a 35" tho.

this was the best I could do before I could afford a swing out tire carrier, but it worked and I could use the rear seat & keep a 33" tire...

5.jpg

If that's not mounted I'd be concerned with it as a projectile if in a collision... That's a lot of weight.

correct, there is a 1x1 steel tube frame under there, bolted thru.

Good luck taking any camping or recovery gear with you.

Holy smokes, how much camping and recovery gear do you have!?

I have my 37" MTR in the trunk with my high-lift and still have room for the bag of tools, bag of spares, recovery gear, camping gear and wood. and that was in December so me and the 3 boys had double sleeping bags. Only had the shovel and stove on the roof.

Leave it at camp chained to a tree.

Hanging all that weight off the back with a swing away tire carrier PLUS another 100lbs of tire really hurts the performance of your rig & raises the center of gravity. It's just not good for business. It makes your ass end bounce along with other ill handling effects. It's like having a person hanging off the back of your rear bumper 24/7... it's not good.

Fold the back seat down for extra room.

Lay your spare flat on the floor... Secure it well (NOT WITH bungees!! with a ratchet strap tight!)
This is the 2nd best place. The best place is back at camp chained to a tree or to your trailer. It's there if you need it, yet isn't taking up space and making your rig 100lbs heavier. How often do you really use it? Not much. If you need it.., stay with your rig and drink beer. Have a friend go fetch your spare (it gives them an excuse to go real fast thru the woods).

Last edited:
I like this line of thinking! And yes I go camping with my family and two small kids. Getting out of the house short of a kitchen sink is near impossible with the wifey

the best place for the spare is in camp.

Leave it at camp chained to a tree.

Hanging all that weight off the back with a swing away tire carrier PLUS another 100lbs of tire really hurts the performance of your rig & raises the center of gravity. It's just not good for business. It makes your ass end bounce along with other ill handling effects. It's like having a person hanging off the back of your rear bumper 24/7... it's not good.

Fold the back seat down for extra room.

Lay your spare flat on the floor... Secure it well (NOT WITH bungees!! with a ratchet strap tight!)
This is the 2nd best place. The best place is back at camp chained to a tree or to your trailer. It's there if you need it, yet isn't taking up space and making your rig 100lbs heavier. How often do you really use it? Not much. If you need it.., stay with your rig and drink beer. Have a friend go fetch your spare (it gives them an excuse to go real fast thru the woods).

What if there is no camp? and even if there is, its often an inconvenience to have to send somebody else all the way back there to pick up your spare and bring it to ya.

I loved my tire carrier. Speaking from experience, handling wasn't negatively effected, ass end didn't bounce all over the place. In fact it helped more evenly distribute the weight of our nose heavy xjs.

Most everyone else who has a swing away tire carrier loves it too.

flat on the floor wouldnt work with a 35" spare and a backseat passenger anyway, nevermind with all my gear.

532353_526350714054_396573556_n_zpsa56d9ec2.jpg

What if there is no camp? and even if there is, its often an inconvenience to have to send somebody else all the way back there to pick up your spare and bring it to ya.

I loved my tire carrier. Speaking from experience, handling wasn't negatively effected, ass end didn't bounce all over the place. In fact it helped more evenly distribute the weight of our nose heavy xjs.

Most everyone else who has a swing away tire carrier loves it too.

flat on the floor wouldnt work with a 35" spare and a backseat passenger anyway, nevermind with all my gear.

532353_526350714054_396573556_n_zpsa56d9ec2.jpg

depends on where/what you wheel.

I have a tire carrier/bumper that I built. I love it, and thats where my tire lives. I built it because the jeep was a DD and I needed the 33" outside so I could use the cargo area.

and on expedition style runs like what you are talking about thats where it stays. I also have a heavy box of spare parts/tools that sits in the back as well.

when I ran the Rubicon, I had that in the back, the jeep filled with camping gear for a 2 week trip (not all on the con) and the tire on the tire carrier.

but if I am just doing single trail runs, camped out in the desert, or even just one day runs from home, I will take the carrier off and leave it at home or in camp. if I am going far from camp, I will fold the rear seat down and strap the tire down on top of it.

just depends on the situation.

depends on where/what you wheel.

I have a tire carrier/bumper that I built. I love it, and thats where my tire lives. I built it because the jeep was a DD and I needed the 33" outside so I could use the cargo area.

and on expedition style runs like what you are talking about thats where it stays. I also have a heavy box of spare parts/tools that sits in the back as well.

when I ran the Rubicon, I had that in the back, the jeep filled with camping gear for a 2 week trip (not all on the con) and the tire on the tire carrier.

but if I am just doing single trail runs, camped out in the desert, or even just one day runs from home, I will take the carrier off and leave it at home or in camp. if I am going far from camp, I will fold the rear seat down and strap the tire down on top of it.

just depends on the situation.

So you are saying the tire on the tire carrier is an inconvenience and you would rather have it on the floor? I don't understand, if the tire carrier exists, I'm going to use it.

So you are saying the tire on the tire carrier is an inconvenience and you would rather have it on the floor? I don't understand, if the tire carrier exists, I'm going to use it.

no.

the tire on the carrier is much more convenient. thats why day to day, and on long, less technical trips it stays on the carrier.

but for more technical, difficult, shorter runs, it is a detriment to the rig's capability.

when I am going on a single day, or single trail run that I know is going to be more difficult, I will take off the spare and carrier. if I do not have a base camp to work with to leave the spare in, I will strap it in the center of the rig (on top of the back seat)

no.

the tire on the carrier is much more convenient. thats why day to day, and on long, less technical trips it stays on the carrier.

but for more technical, difficult, shorter runs, it is a detriment to the rig's capability.

when I am going on a single day, or single trail run that I know is going to be more difficult, I will take off the spare and carrier. if I do not have a base camp to work with to leave the spare in, I will strap it in the center of the rig (on top of the back seat)

This is the most detrimental mine was, just rubbed it on some rocks from time to time, no ill effects.

34321_508273885164_6230625_n.jpg

and as for leaving it back at camp. Id hate having to send a rig back through miles of rockcrawling to grab it, but maybe your trail runs are closer to camp than I think.

This is the most detrimental mine was, just rubbed it on some rocks from time to time, no ill effects.

34321_508273885164_6230625_n.jpg

and as for leaving it back at camp. Id hate having to send a rig back through miles of rockcrawling to grab it, but maybe your trail runs are closer to camp than I think.

I've yet to drag on it, but I have done a lot of steep climbs with and without it and there is a huge difference. the rig is a lot more stable and climbs a lot better without it.

Back