• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Stall

ZORT JEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Just got a 89 Cherokee 4.0 auto, one problem its having is if the fuel tank drops 3/4 or less it stalls when turning corners...and takes a bit to start again. Was thinking of replacing the fuel pump and filter and even the fuel pump relay...just wanting some input.

I would check the fuel pressure first. May just be the hose on the pump outlet going bad, and the pump itself. The new pumps seem to junk, especially airtex. My 87 has 289,000 miles and running strong. I did have problems once that was just dirt and oxidized connectors at the fuel tank connector and the relay under the hood.

Check the rotor, cap, spark plugs and plug wires for problems first!!!!

Air filter? And check the CCV valve cover vent line and orifice for blockage. Lastly, pull the IAC (Idle Air Control valve) from the throttle body and clean the seat and valve face sealing surfaces, and lube the gear drive on the motor with a NON DRYING light weight oil like LPS-1. Do not use WD-40! Then see if the stall problem is still there.

Oh, also pull the vacuum line on the FPR, Fuel Pressure Regulator on the front of the fuel rail and see if there is any gasoline there. If there is the FPR diaphragm is leaking and flooding the engine at idle and causing the stall. The hard restart is a clue that it may be the FPR leaking!!!!

Then check out Cruiser54's ground refreshing thread. Renix (87-90) jeeps are notorious for sensor ground problems.

Your float may be messed up causing the gauge to read incorrectly, if that's the case you may have less fuel than you think and it might be sloshing to one side and momentarily starving the engine. Then when you go to start it up again the system has to reprime itself again. But that's just one possibility.

Sure. But the turning of corners leads me to that conclusion.
I have had a leaking FPR, old dirty plugs and dirty dizzy cap cause a stall on turns too from the power steering pump load added to poor fuel and ignition control on Renix.

Do the easy stuff first.

I agree it could be the fuel line on the pump in the tank leaking.

Thanks guys...checked a lot of different things...did find out the the fuel pump in the tank was a Airtex which has a lot of problems. Installing a Bosch tonight, of course had to drop the tank because the screen filter was missing...found it in the tank along with another screen filter looks like the original one...lol

Thanks guys...checked a lot of different things...did find out the the fuel pump in the tank was a Airtex which has a lot of problems. Installing a Bosch tonight, of course had to drop the tank because the screen filter was missing...found it in the tank along with another screen filter looks like the original one...lol

Tell Mike " I told ya so" for me, wouldya? LOL.

Probably true. And, he hasn't got it running yet. Couldn't avoid/resist the jab.....

"When your good let em know it!!!!"
:roflmao:

:D Ecomike, you and Cruiser54 play nice now!

Back