• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jump from 4:10's to 4:56's

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone gone from 4:10's to 4:56's with 33's? How much of a change is it? I did 4:10's from the start because I got such a good deal, just really been thinking about going to 4:56's but if its not gonna be that much of a change, then it might not be worth it.

Anyone gone from 4:10's to 4:56's with 33's? How much of a change is it? I did 4:10's from the start because I got such a good deal, just really been thinking about going to 4:56's but if its not gonna be that much of a change, then it might not be worth it.
I recently changed from 4.11 to 4.56s. I run two sets of tires, 31"s and 33"s. With 4.11s, the 33"s bogged down on slight upgrades and spent lot of time third. With the 4.56s, is drives nicely. Switching back to 31s, it feels much faster, good for city driving.
Now there is a downside that happens to many, self included when, switching to lower gears. the front drive shaft will be spinning much faster and at freeways speeds, the shaft many vibrate badly. The front shaft's CV joint has more than twice the angle as
the rear shaft's CV joint and will vibrate at a lower speed. In my case. the vibs get bad at 65 MPH, with 33s and at 60 MPH with the 31s
You can read about this in the thread now running entitled,
About ready to give up- Front DS vibes, 01 xj- Advice appreciated .

Main reason why I changed when i did was to add a front locker and to replace noisy rear gears.

Vibes...high engine rpm...fuel mileage...doesn't feel like it accelerates as well as with correct gearing...

Ours is totally a driver right now...4.56 may be better for a wheeler (for those inevitable 35's :rtm: ) when you regear, but I certainly wouldn't council a customer to pay me to regear his rig from 4.10 to 4.56.

That's a lot of money for a .46:1 ratio change.

I run 33's with 4.56, and wish I had 4.10.

You are crazy.

I bought my Jeep with 32's on it, drove it for a few months, then went immediately to 4.56s. The gearing was perfect, felt like stock probably did. Tons of low end torque and plenty of pickup on the highway. I drove a LOT of highway miles with that setup (gf lived over an hour away) and I was routinely over 75mph.

I think the swap will be well worth it in power and gas mileage. Remember, mileage isn't about how fast your engine is spinning but the amount of load on it. Lower numerical gears means higher load because the engine lugs around at a lower rpm. Put it in it's sweet spot when cruising and your entire drivetrain will thank you.

Plus the 4.56/33 combo is going to be really nice offroad. I'm on 35's now and wish I had 4.88s or higher because it's a bit jumpy on the rocks.

i went from 4.56's to 4.88's on 35's (about the same as going from 4.10's to 4.56's on 33's) and it was barely noticable, if at all. save your money or go with 4.88's. if i were you, i'd take that money you were going to spend on axles and get a rubicon 241 transfer case with 4:1. THAT will be like night and day and you wont loose your streetability.

I Did 4.56's for the 33's ill get when my 31's wear out and I think it is a bit low on the 31's but should be cool on the 33's.

Pretty sure its supposed to be about stock ratio with the 4.56 and 33's IIRC

For that little of a difference though i wouldn't be changing i don't think its worth the $ .

I did that swap with 32's on my '96 4.0 with AW4 trans, 4.5" RE lift. I felt like the it dogged more than I wanted it to with the 4.10's. The 4.56's were great, but might have been a little overgeared for some people. It was my DD, and it ran great up to about 70 mph (2800 rpm on flat highway). Actually made the gas mileage better because I wasn't mashing on the skinny pedal so much. Also, it was much better towing and on the trails with the 4.56's. It was an expensive mistake putting in the 4.10's for me. I'd rather be overgeared than undergeared. Similar to Sunburned experience with them.

You are crazy.

I bought my Jeep with 32's on it, drove it for a few months, then went immediately to 4.56s. The gearing was perfect, felt like stock probably did. Tons of low end torque and plenty of pickup on the highway. I drove a LOT of highway miles with that setup (gf lived over an hour away) and I was routinely over 75mph.

I think the swap will be well worth it in power and gas mileage. Remember, mileage isn't about how fast your engine is spinning but the amount of load on it. Lower numerical gears means higher load because the engine lugs around at a lower rpm. Put it in it's sweet spot when cruising and your entire drivetrain will thank you.

Plus the 4.56/33 combo is going to be really nice offroad. I'm on 35's now and wish I had 4.88s or higher because it's a bit jumpy on the rocks.
Wow:sure:

First off, 4.56 gearing is numerically over geared (in an automatic) for 33's compared to stock by just under 10%. This means even more for32" rubber...so comments like "felt like stock probably did" are complete fabrications and completely inaccurate.

There is far more to fuel efficiency than the (misinformed) notion that screaming the engine with "less load" on the engine.

Finally, what part am I "crazy" about? Was it the part where I said that the expense of going from 4.10 to 4.56 wasn't worth the numerical gain? I guess you could argue that's a personal choice and opinion, but I'm pretty sure I'm on target here (and it's the way I've counseled many customers over the years)? Is it the part where I wish I had 4.10 instead of 4.56 for my application? Way to cram your opinion down my throat as fact and law:conceited

i went from 4.56's to 4.88's on 35's (about the same as going from 4.10's to 4.56's on 33's) and it was barely noticable, if at all. save your money or go with 4.88's. if i were you, i'd take that money you were going to spend on axles and get a rubicon 241 transfer case with 4:1. THAT will be like night and day and you wont loose your streetability.
This...FTMFW :rtm:

I Did 4.56's for the 33's ill get when my 31's wear out and I think it is a bit low on the 31's but should be cool on the 33's.

Pretty sure its supposed to be about stock ratio with the 4.56 and 33's IIRC

For that little of a difference though i wouldn't be changing i don't think its worth the $ .
Just under 10% over geared (with an automatic)

This is 33's/4.56's
IMAGE_4EA9BD1A-2640-48A9-91DD-E40F17072312.JPG

Just under 10% over geared (with an automatic)

This is 33's/4.56's
IMAGE_4EA9BD1A-2640-48A9-91DD-E40F17072312.JPG

With 4.10 and 30" tires my XJ also does 70 MPH at 2500 RPM,....a little too much RPM for my taste. Not the pure RPM per say but the RPM verses MPH. I will be going to 31's when this set of tires wear out. I hope to drop about 100 RPM and gain about 3 MPH. My rig is 95% highway driven and 5% or less trails.

Many think it was a waste of time to go from 3.55 to 4.10. I agree with them. However, the 8.25 under the XJ at the time started to growl and needed rebuilding. I was already on 30" tires and wanting to go to 31" and add a locker. I had a D44 that needed to be rebuilt also before it could go under the XJ so 4.10 became the logical choice for the D44.

Last edited:
Wow:sure:

First off, 4.56 gearing is numerically over geared (in an automatic) for 33's compared to stock by just under 10%. This means even more for32" rubber...so comments like "felt like stock probably did" are complete fabrications and completely inaccurate.

Guess you missed the probably, and the part where I said I bought the Jeep with 32s and never drove it stock. It felt great on the road/highway and on the trails for years. I don't actually care how it compares to stock, it drove great on the road and I'd love to go back to that gear/tire ratio.

Finally, what part am I "crazy" about? Was it the part where I said that the expense of going from 4.10 to 4.56 wasn't worth the numerical gain? I guess you could argue that's a personal choice and opinion, but I'm pretty sure I'm on target here (and it's the way I've counseled many customers over the years)? Is it the part where I wish I had 4.10 instead of 4.56 for my application? Way to cram your opinion down my throat as fact and law:conceited

You were crazy with wanting to go to 4.10s and 33's. And I'm sorry for your customers if you told them that was the best ratio. I didn't say you had to do anything, so simmer down slugger. I'm just trying to give the OP my best opinion. And I'm guessing, like many people, he'll go bigger in the future so swapping gears now might be the best thing.

Try not to take the internet so personal...

Hard not to take it personal when there are people like you making it personal with personal slandering, name calling, and bullshit like "I feel sorry for your customers", and "you are crazy"

Customers like you can stuff your money straight up your ass and GFY.

Sorry if telling a customer that I don't counsel them to spend all that money with me to regear from 4.10 to 4.56 seems too honest to you.

SPOBI, remove your head from your ass, and grow up.

WAY TO CRAM YOUR OPINION DOWN SOMEONE'S THROAT AS FACT AND LAW

Last edited:
Wow, didn't mean to start anything. I doubt that I will going bigger then 33's. to me 4:10s just seem too sluggish, I can get up and go but only by flooring it when I need to, I'd like a little more effortless mobility when driving back and forth to work.

With 4.10 and 30" tires my XJ also does 70 MPH at 2500 RPM,....a little too much RPM for my taste. Not the pure RPM per say but the RPM verses MPH. I will be going to 31's when this set of tires wear out. I hope to drop about 100 RPM and gain about 3 MPH. My rig is 95% highway driven and 5% or less trails.

Many think it was a waste of time to go from 3.55 to 4.10. I agree with them. However, the 8.25 under the XJ at the time started to growl and needed rebuilding. I was already on 30" tires and wanting to go to 31" and add a locker. I had a D44 that needed to be rebuilt also before it could go under the XJ so 4.10 became the logical choice for the D44.
Have you confirmed that TC lockup is functioning? I have 4.10s with 31's (true 31" tires) and without TC lockup I sit at 2500rpm @ 72. With TC lockup ( I have a manual lockup switch), I'm at about 2150rpm.

i liked it when i ran 4.10s on 235/75s :eyes:

got me around 19 mpg freeway too :gee:

even with that said, when i jump up to 33s i will not be regearing again. with 31s now its still a little over geared then stock, i imagine 33s will bring it back to near stock

I wish I could have ran my heep with 4.10s on the 235's. Unfortunately, I ended up with 31's for an awesome deal (didn't want to do that either, but now glad I did), before I did/was able to do my axle swap.
My mileage/accel came back to better than stock.

I would prefer 4.56 on 33's, but I wouldn't spend the money to regear from 4.10's. I'm at 4.10's with 35's and its not bad enough to worry about right now. I'll be going to 5.13's when I do regear, as my jeep is pretty much an offroad only at this point.

Back