• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 bolts from tcase to front D/S...

jpmaniac87

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know where to get these things?! If it's the dealer, you got a part number? This is my '91 XJ. I put swap my 242 out for a 231 and lost them in the transition... Thanks!

I wish... haven't found a complete 4x4 cherokee in a while at a junk yard... I got lucky and found the linkage to the 231 but everything else had been ripped out

u-joint strap kit NAPA PUJ 43710

Ok, Stealership wanted $12 PER BOLT!!!!

So I went to Ace, got 4 5/16"-24x1¼" (actually, they gave me one wrong one that must have been in the wrong box, so I've gotta swap that) and 4 washers. Works great and they were $.55 ea. A 1/2" box wrench is all you need. Thanks for all the good info guys

Ok, Stealership wanted $12 PER BOLT!!!!

So I went to Ace, got 4 5/16"-24x1¼" (actually, they gave me one wrong one that must have been in the wrong box, so I've gotta swap that) and 4 washers. Works great and they were $.55 ea. A 1/2" box wrench is all you need. Thanks for all the good info guys

Hope the bolts you got were Grade 8 steel.

The MSRP for the OEM bolts is $4.75.

FYI, here's the OEM bolt.

jpgTCFrontoutputpiniontofrontdriveshaftbolt.jpg

8mm fits mine better than 5/16". I bought a 6-point ratchet wrench from Mac just for dealing with these bolts. I believe it fits the retaining bolt in the cross shaft in the diff as well.

8mm fits mine better than 5/16". I bought a 6-point ratchet wrench from Mac just for dealing with these bolts. I believe it fits the retaining bolt in the cross shaft in the diff as well.

Actually, the OEM bolt head measures .309 across the flats, which is about 7.9 MM, so I would think an 8 MM wrench would fit fine.

I use a 5/16 six-point box end brake bleeder wrench which works well.

Agreed. They are 5/16 head since they are SAE hardware, but using a quality SIX POINT socket or wrench is far more important than 5/16 vs 8mm. A 12 point is asking for trouble, always at least break them free (and do final torque) with a 6 point quality socket.

I've got a 6 point 5/16 box wrench, 6 point 1/4 drive 5/16 socket, and 5/16 gearwrench in my tool kit specifically for driveshaft flange and ujoint bolts.

Some Fords and (iirc) Dodges use a 12 point 5/16, at which point I just start right out with the gearwrench... gearwrenches make life so much easier working on stuff like the CV flange, but won't do you any good on U-joint straps due to the restricted working space, that's what I have the 1/4 drive socket for.

Back