• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not to complain about heat in the winter, but...

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed over a road trip the other weekend that when I run the heat on my 87' my dash gets VERY hot to the touch. Almost hot enough that I think twice about touchng the radio cuz it might burn my finger or something. Is this normal or is the sealer stuff thats supposed to keep the heat going were it should (like out the vents/defrost/heater) just worn and letting the hot air go out wherever behind the dash? Just wondering whether I should start planning on tearing down the dash in the near future.

Thanks

It's not the heat, it is the humidity...

Seriously, try all of the different settings for outflow--defrost, vent, heat, bi-level--whatever you have and try to determine which setting has poor air flow.

Sounds to me like you have may have a section of duct loose OR you might have an overheating blower switch. The whole blower/resistor pack setup is WEAK and under-engineered, and prone to melting.

...might burn my finger...

:tears: Seriously? It will likely melt plastic before it'll burn your pinky.

Two questions:

1.) Do you have an aftermarket radio/CD player?...the one in my XJ was h-h-hot. I found out how hot when it melted (warped) a disc. Something about the installation at Best Buy (they replaced it under warranty). This was in the summer with the A/C running.

2.) Is there ever any "lint" closely resembling the carpet padding blowing out of your vents? Leaves? Pine needles? Hay?
I had a mouse/vole nest in my MJ's HVAC ducting (the transient tenants had vacated the premises), clogged up the blower motor and main plenum area. A good sized ball of organic matter and crap.

Serves me right buying a Jeep from a farm.

:tears: Seriously? It will likely melt plastic before it'll burn your pinky.

Two questions:

1.) Do you have an aftermarket radio/CD player?...the one in my XJ was h-h-hot. I found out how hot when it melted (warped) a disc. Something about the installation at Best Buy (they replaced it under warranty). This was in the summer with the A/C running.

2.) Is there ever any "lint" closely resembling the carpet padding blowing out of your vents? Leaves? Pine needles? Hay?
I had a mouse/vole nest in my MJ's HVAC ducting (the transient tenants had vacated the premises), clogged up the blower motor and main plenum area. A good sized ball of organic matter and crap.

Serves me right buying a Jeep from a farm.

Good possibility on the varmint invasion. Easy to see if you poke your noggin under the passenger side dash and move the heater control selector to see the blower motor squirrel cage.

Back