• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who is running Limiting Straps??

condoor

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and found a few threads on this, but I'd like some more current info. Following are my qeustions:

Who is running limiting straps? If so why, if not why?
What is your spring/shock/control arm setup?
What kind of straps are you running?
Where did you mount them?
Post pics if you can.

I just upgraded to 4.5" RE springs and drop brackets. I'm running JKS adjustable upper/lower short arms and Bilstein long travel shocks. I haven't installed the drop brackets yet, but I flexed it without them and it looks like my shocks are the limiting factor in the drop. I've never run limitnig straps before, but I've never had a tire bigger than 33. I just upgraded to 35s and I'm concerened that the added weight could damage a shock.

Anyway, I'd like to see what others are running. Thanks - c

If all you do is rock crawl, you'll be fine without limit straps.

I wheeled my '92 XJ on 35s with 12" 5150s for 2 years with no limit straps. Shocks were still fine when I pulled them/scrapped the jeep.

On my new MJ I run limit straps up front. 3-link with 12" 7100 short-bodies. I plan to dabble in some local races and don't want to risk ripping shocks/mounts apart so I went from the upper JKS stem eliminator bolt to the lower shock bolt.

This is the only pic I have of the area. Lower bolt goes through the shock, then on the other side another 1" sleeve, then bottom limit strap, then washer, then nut. This keeps the shock from pummeling the strap mount.

IMG_2736.jpg

Thanks - I'm running 5100 series Bilsteins that are 11.47" travel up front and 10.02" out back. All I do is rock crawl - no high speed stuff.

Who is running limiting straps? If so why, if not why?
I think this is pretty self explanatory.
What is your spring/shock/control arm setup?
Up front, Re 4.5", Fox 2.0s, 3-link.,
Out Back: Sway-A-Way coilovers 150s over 250s, 4-link.
What kind of straps are you running?
Nothing fancy, just some off the shelf quad wraps.
Be sure to take into account eh strap stretch when you buy them. If you need to limit at 12" don't buy a 12" strap. Buy a 11" or 10" (depending one brand and number of wraps). IIRC, rule of thumb for a good quard wrap was 1" stretch per 12" length.
Where did you mount them?
Post pics if you can.
Front:
LimitStrapHanging.jpg

LimitStrapMount.jpg

LowerLimitStrapMount.jpg

Rear:
RearAxleExhaustShot.jpg

CIMG5731.jpg

If all you do is rock crawl, you'll be fine without limit straps.

Never heard it put that way..doesn't make much sense. I needed them because my coil spring kept ejecting, while it was flexing, while it was rock crawling. I would suggest putting them on for ANY instance that leaves your shock or brake line as the "limiting strap". Is it hurting anything putting them on? I'll let you answer that question.

Never heard it put that way..doesn't make much sense. I needed them because my coil spring kept ejecting, while it was flexing, while it was rock crawling. I would suggest putting them on for ANY instance that leaves your shock or brake line as the "limiting strap". Is it hurting anything putting them on? I'll let you answer that question.

It doesn't make much sense for you, but I was directing my answer at the OP.

He was worried about his shocks being damaged. Nothing about brake lines, coil springs, steering, or anything else limiting his droop. Just doing rockcrawling, he'll be fine.

Would limit straps be better? Yes. Is a bus full of nuns going to crash if he doesn't run them on HIS setup? Nope.

Like I said, I did mostly rock crawling and even jumped my XJ quite a few times without limiting straps while having my shocks be the limiting factor.

They never broke, didn't wear any faster, etc. And I must have had 50k miles on them when I scrapped my XJ.

Get off your high horse.

He was worried about his shocks being damaged. Nothing about brake lines, coil springs, steering, or anything else limiting his droop. Just doing rockcrawling, he'll be fine.

Would limit straps be better? Yes. Is a bus full of nuns going to crash if he doesn't run them on HIS setup? Nope.

Like I said, I did mostly rock crawling and even jumped my XJ quite a few times without limiting straps while having my shocks be the limiting factor.

They never broke, didn't wear any faster, etc. And I must have had 50k miles on them when I scrapped my XJ.

Get off your high horse.

Cool. :conceited

fwiw my 7100s came with some paperwork that said they could be used as limit straps in low speed (rock-crawling) applications.

my rig also sees some open desert and medium speed stuff, so I run straps.

Get off your high horse.

Don't mess with him Colin, he built his rig to flex, he must know more about suspensions than you.

fwiw my 7100s came with some paperwork that said they could be used as limit straps in low speed (rock-crawling) applications.

my rig also sees some open desert and medium speed stuff, so I run straps.

I was going to mention that, bilstein says they can be used as the limiting factor in your suspension for slow stuff.

Apparently I don't have any photos of my old setup, but it was just a 1/2" bolt welded to my 3/16" frame stiffeners behind my shock and these little brackets from ruffstuff to the lca mount.

limit%20strap%203.jpg

simple, worked mint, I did pretty much the same thing on my J10.

Back