• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 axle shaft removal

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ, AW4, I6 4.0 4WD and I need to remove the front axle shafts on my Dana 30. Should these just pull out after removing the hub bearing or are they held in by C-clips ?

they should slide right out, and FYI you dont need to seperate them fom the hub, the whole assembly can come out in one piece after removing the 3 hub bolts

AFAIK all years use a 36mm.

If you're in the rust belt, I suggest wire brushing them, hitting them with some pbblaster, then heating them a bit before using a cheater pipe and a breaker bar. I've had some that were so jammed they broke a 1/2" drive extension before I wised up and used some lube and heat to get them undone.

Is it best to slacken the axle nuts off a liitle, whilst the the full weight of the vehicle is on the front wheels on the ground. Then jack up the vehicle and remove as normal.

Is it best to slacken the axle nuts off a liitle, whilst the the full weight of the vehicle is on the front wheels on the ground. Then jack up the vehicle and remove as normal.

Yes, IF necessary have a helper stand on the brakes.
Torque on the nut is 175 ft lbs,,,,,when you put it together.

Back