• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Testing for Spark with Coil on Plug (2000 Cherokee)

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
How do you test for spark with a coil on plug assembly? I know how to do it with a distributor and standard plug wires and plugs, but haven't figured out how to do it on a coil on plug ignition.

Subscribing. I don't know how to do it. I suppose you could try something like removing the whole rail, hooking up your old fashioned plug/wire tester, unplugging the fuel pump fuse and cranking it over. I'm honestly not sure if that'd tell you anything, or hurt something else, or not.

you are going to have to take the 4 bolts holding the rail down off to start. lift up on the coil to unplug from spark plugs then hook up a spark test and then ground the other end of the spark tester. crank then have someone tell if you have spark.

Their is also an OHM test you can do on the rail as well but it will have to be completely taken out of the vehicle which is a pain in the butt to do

Start at the beginning, why do you need to check for spark?

Well, I didn't want to jack the OPs thread, but it's been a couple days, so to answer the question, I wanted to check mine because I have a misfire in cylinder 6.

Back