• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 quick questions

frankrizzo

NAXJA Forum User
1. I got new 31x10.50 15s. At what psi should they be inflated for regular street use. I heard that on bigger tires it shouldn't be 35psi. Is that true?
2. I have a 99 4.0, when I start the Jeep, for the first 20 minutes the battery gauge will read between 14.2 and 14.5 volts. (I have a digital gauge in my cigarette lighter socket). But after twenty minutes or so it'll go down to 13.6 and 13.8. Is it normal to fluctuate like that?

1) Yes, it is normal for the voltage to fluctuate after starting. "Normal" is 13.8V.

2) The tire patch method is the best. With a OEM rim and a the tire size you are using, I would start at 32psl.

Remember that if under inflated, the sides will wear before the inside, and visa versa.

2. I have a 99 4.0, when I start the Jeep, for the first 20 minutes the battery gauge will read between 14.2 and 14.5 volts. (I have a digital gauge in my cigarette lighter socket). But after twenty minutes or so it'll go down to 13.6 and 13.8. Is it normal to fluctuate like that?

That all sounds normal to me, but my jeeps are older. Mine drop with the head lights and AC blower on Max too. I thin the voltage regulators drop the voltage after the battery is fully recharged. It also drops when you turn every power hungry appliance on at idle.

Last edited:
Chalk the tyres and play with the pressure - it's the best way to find out. Take you an hour or so, usually.

And bear in mind that the starter motor on our 6-242 engines is usually good for anywhere from 160-185A to crank the engine, PLUS all the loads involved in actually RUNNING the engine. Yeah, the battery's going to have to "top up" after that, it's something of a workout. If the voltage DOES NOT drop, then it's time to start worrying...

Back