• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

corroded brake light sockets....

oldcancer

NAXJA Forum User
yesterday one of my brake lights went out on my 92, and when i went to change it i found that the bulb socket for my passenger side brake light is so corroded that i literally pulled the bulb in half trying to get it out....

i'm thinking i should be able to just replace the pigtail there with the one from my 94 which is much less corroded....but that's where i begin to get lost

being that i'm not the best when it comes to wiring, i can't really tell if there's any difference between the 2 years other than a possible difference in wire colors....

so i don't really want to just go in there and hack all the wiring apart just to find out i can't even put it back together....

if however the wiring happens to not be interchangeable, are there any tips to get the metal part out of the bulb socket so i can at least put a new bulb in until i find a compatible pigtail?

I'd use a penetrating oil and a needle nose pliers to remove the old light shell.

You should be able to replace just the socket.

Use needle nose pliers to twist and turn the old socket remains out of the female housing. Then see what you got. They sell the pig tail assys at O'Reilys, and NAPA I am sure can get them. Probably about $5 new. Just follow where the old and new wire goes to on the socket, and just cut and swap one wire at a time with a new one. Save as much of the old wire on the harness as possible since you plan to junk to old socket (if you replace it that is).

I seriously doubt there is any difference between the 94 and 96 sockets.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jee...b747fe93862d6b&bpcl=40096503&biw=1280&bih=612

Last edited:
Back