• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 xj wont start

poorjeepguy

NAXJA Forum User
my 96 xj wont start yesterday i got in it to start it, it turned over twice then quit now nothing. i have checked the starter it tested good, and i replaced the ignition switch. still nothing sometimes when i turn the key it clicks other times it does nothing please help its my daily driver.

Edit: Never mind, yours is a no crank issue!

Have you had the battery tested, or cleaned the battery posts and clamps?

It is most likely a bad battery (in which case you may other problems, alternator, wires, etc), or bad starter. Charge the battery or get it tested first. Many stores test them for free. Clean all the contacts at the starter and battery posts and battery clamps, and try it again. IF the battery was good, and clamps were clean then the starter solenoid on top of the starter or the starter itself may be bad.

Last edited:
TEST the heart of your vehicle--the battery.

the battery is only a month old. i even tried jumping the jeep to no avail. i guess i will take my battery and have it bench tested ill let you guys now the results. my next idea is batterycable ?

the battery is only a month old. i even tried jumping the jeep to no avail. i guess i will take my battery and have it bench tested ill let you guys now the results. my next idea is batterycable ?

Then it is probably the starter that is bad, or the solenoid on the starter, which is almost expensive as the entire starter.

But check the cable first. Do you have a volt-ohm multi meter yet?

If the battery is good, and not discharged, you can by pass the solenoid by jumping the two large copper posts on the solenoid with a large steel part like a large screwdriver and see if the starter spins up. If it does the solenoid on top is bad. If it does not spin up, either the starter internals are bad or the ground or power cable is bad.

Last edited:
Have a voltmeter/multimeter?

STATIC battery voltage--engine off, no load (other than PCM and radio memories--should be 12 plus volts.

Engine running battery voltage should be 13.5 to 15.5 volts, depending on temperature and state of charge.

You can perform a "voltage drop test" on your battery cables to determine their condition. Here is a basic, entry-level article on doing a VDT--http://www.crookedriverwriter.com/index.php?/Automotive-Topics/voltage-drop-testing.html

i checked battery with volt meter it shows 12 volts and i had the starter bench tested and it tested good.terminals on battery are clean i also tried crossing the starter with the key turned on and it throws the gear out but doesnt spin. even though it spun just fine during the bench test

So the battery has 12 volts static.

Now, if it has AMPS--what your starter needs to crank--then likely your cables are bad. Do the Voltage Drop Test to check them.

In my experience, at ambient temperatures (say 50-90 F) a charged battery should read about 12.7 volts, and one that read 12.0 volts was discharged.

His alternator may have died, even though he recently replaced it. Was it a JY pull or rebuilt, and what was the source and quality?

Also sounds like a starter issue, bad starter as well.

poorjeepguy, did you try jumping the starter solenoid with the ignition switch off? That should not throw the gear forward, it should only spin the starter motor. Did you jump just the two large copper posts (like I suggested), or the smaller wire contacts?

i tried jumping off both posts. and the alternator was a rebuild from parts store. when i tried jumping right after i did there was a weird mechanical noise coming from under the hood for about 3 seconds then it stopped. Relay,or computer ?

i tried jumping off both posts. and the alternator was a rebuild from parts store. when i tried jumping right after i did there was a weird mechanical noise coming from under the hood for about 3 seconds then it stopped. Relay,or computer ?

Nah, computer is not involved down there at the starter. Not sure what you mean by jumping off both posts, you need to short the two large posts (about 3/8" dia copper posts) on the starter solenoid on top of the starter, nothing else:

starter-solenoid.jpg

Using the screwdriver short the two large posts to each other. But be quick, it will spark, and arc. Only takes a second to see if the starter turns at all. Like this:

images

Do it nut to nut, so the threads do not get damaged. And do it with the ignition switch off.

just want to give an update. it ended up being the battery cables. i want to thank everyone for your help and input it was greatly appreciated

Back