• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spider gears

Crown Automotive Part Number: cro83503002
Fits 1987 to 1993 YJ Wrangler
Fits 1985 to 1993 XJ Cherokee
Fits 1986 to 1992 MJ Comanche
Dana 35

Last edited:
Thanks, those were the only ones I found for 93-older but was thrown off by the "Only for XJ with build meterial # blah blah blah"

Thank you. Ordered

IDK about the blah blah blah part, but they should work. You can always call a ring/pinion gear retailer and ask them to look up a part number.

It's probably due to c clip vs non c clip design.

Depending on how much new spiders cost I would just swap to an 8.25. At least around here they are approx. $100 at the junkyard, $50-100 on the forum classifieds, and all you need to swap to one is an appropriate driveshaft and set of U-bolts.

The driveshaft is easy to find in the yard, factors that affect length are 4x4 vs 4x2, auto vs manual, 4cyl vs 6cyl, and 95 down vs 96 up. You would want one from a 95 and earlier with the same drivetrain as you.

That being said, the part number I see for you is exactly what Tim listed. If you had a 90 apparently it would be 5252 495. Either one is a full set including the cross shaft, thrust washers, and spiders/side gears plus the cross shaft retention bolt.

edit: it is definitely c clip vs non c clip. I'm fairly certain a set of c clip gears will work for a non c clip diff, there just isn't a c clip to install, but for a 90 or later one would definitely need the later part number gears.

The cclip spiders are cheaper, are you saying I should be able to use them?

As for the axle swap, I live pretty far from any pick n pull and with no jeep to haul it I'm kind of pinned.

I *think* you should be able to, but haven't verified it and don't want you spending money on it without verifying it via other sources. It's something I need to check at some point, especially since I've got a c-clip 4.10 d35 rear from a friends MJ and a non c-clip 3.55 d35 rear from my MJ sitting in the yard. Will have to dig into them and check it out sometime.

I wouldn't put .05 into repairing a D35--although I still have mine in the XJ--however, I understand your need for transportation.

The Chrysler 8.25 is a much better option when you have the time, or better yet, a Ford Explorer with disc brakes and a LS--that is in my XJ's future.

Not finding a whole lot of solid info on this, but from what I did find leads me to believe that the spiders will not interchange. Specifically "Dana 35 had two different types of spider gear kits. Small hub 1.560" and large hub 1.625" hub. They are not interchangable."

There is a small yard nearby with 5 virgin cherokees on it, I'm going to go check it out tomorrow to further weigh my options.

Interesting. Glad I didn't tell you to go ahead and get the cheap ones!

I need to do some measuring and parts swapping in the future it seems.

You still need these spider gears ???

I have a set from an 88 non c-clip D35 sitting here on the shelf. Gears are in good shape, but I think one of the cone washers was cracked.

Well I jumped the gun a bit, finally got into the rear end today and the cross pin fubared the carrier so I'm after an 8.8 or another d35 :(

8.8 if you can weld... 8.25 if you can't. XJ, right?

8.25 bolts in and is everywhere in the JYs.

Oops.

medazebe.jpg

5ytu9uzy.jpg

I found a d35 local for CHEAP but the shock mount is bent. Can I just swap the whole carrier over to my housing or is that bad practice?

extremely bad practice. In fact I'd be shocked if the gears last more than a few hundred to a few thousand miles if you do that.

Get a better axle...

That wasn't a score, you got screwed by about $50.

Get a better axle before it bites you in the ass... again.

Back