• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any difference between steering columuns from manual and auto trans XJ's?

EnderAZ

NAXJA Forum User
Like the title says are there any differences between the steering columns from XJ's that have an auto tranny versus a manual trans?

The reason I ask is because I am looking to buy one and all the ebay adds show "Cherokee Tilt Steering Column Auto Automatic Trans Transmission". So I wanted to make sure it would be compatible.

Yes, the auto steering column has the shift interlock pieces in it... the part that won't let you shift out of park if the key is off. There is a cable that hooks to the interlock in the column and runs down to the floor shifter.

You can get around this though... if you have an auto column that you want to put in a manual rig, you'll have to either tear it all apart to remove the interlock pieces, or do what I did and just put a small self-tapping screw through the sheetmetal of the column and lock the interlock in the "open" position.

If you're putting a manual column in an auto rig, you just lose the interlock so the rig can be shifted in and out of park even with the key off. This may or may not pass safety inspections where applicable and tested for... I'm not sure, we don't have emissions tests or safety inspections in eastern WA here.

Glad I found this thread.

It appears the 94 XJ 5spd I just bought has had an auto column swapped into it at some point. There's no lever to remove the key, it sticks in the ignition, and the PO told me he never took the key out, but showed me how to reach down the column and push the interlock.

I guess I'll try the screw option as I don't feel like taking it apart quite yet.

I know that manual columns have the lever. But, In my renix XJ, never had to do anything with the column even when I swapped in another one. I disco'd the cable from the shifter and have never had an issue with the key sticking in the ign. even prior to swapping columns.

Back