• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No blinkers or wipers

EnderAZ

NAXJA Forum User
Well I'm pretty sure it's probably a ignition switch and a ignition cylinder lock problem but I wanted to get some more info.

I have a 93 XJ that I've inherited from my wife's grandfather. He must have lost the key or something and hammered in another key in order to start the jeep. The blinkers must have stopped working on him so he wired up a tractor turn signal controller thing and wired it right up to the lights. I'm trying to wire it back up the original way and fix it the right way since his old wiring is cracking apart and not functioning properly. It looks like he must have dropped the lower part of the dash because all of the screws holding it there are different. When I looked under the column I noticed that there's some wiring and a plug that goes to nowhere and I'm not sure if they should go somewhere or not.

He had this hose clamped to the steering column to control his blinkers.
2013-01-03184948_zps52d7b6d6.jpg

Here's the front view of the steering column....
2013-01-03184916_zpsfd8d9a43.jpg

Other then the broken brown plastic it doesn't look like the ignition switch has any burnt out parts. Although what is supposed to move the actuator rod thing? When I turn the key? If so when I turn the key it does nothing. I can however manually actuate it by hand.
2013-01-03184600_zps1fa53a2f.jpg

Is this supposed to go somewhere? If so where? There seems to be nothing in range of it that it fits in.
2013-01-03184550_zps29589a50.jpg

Also, what about that smaller connector hanging to the right of the air duct?
2013-01-03184542_zpsb8aeefea.jpg

2013-01-03184507_zps6f8f444b.jpg

What's the small lever just to the right of the key? Also this is the non-tilt column right?
2013-01-03184504_zpseffb2c50.jpg

Have you checked the fuses? Multi-function switch may be fubar, also possibly clockspring. If all else fails, replace the column.

Multi-function switch may be fubar, also possibly clockspring. If all else fails, replace the column.

Since both the wipers AND the blinkers are controlled by the MFS...that's what I'd be looking at.

Does the window washer work?? The wash/wipe cycle, I mean. Also, it's easy enough to replace the lock cylinder.

As far as having wires under the dash not connected to anything...I think it's a Jeep thing, as I've never seen ALL the wires under any Jeep dash all connected. Some of the un-used wires are for options not installed, fog lights, OH console etc.

Junk the entire column and start from there.

Your wife's grandfather is really "Uncle Bob".

Junk the entire column and start from there.

That may be good advice on this one. It may take less time and effort.

This is NOT the ignition switch. It is the high/low beam head light switch. It is, or was(?) activated by the left side multifunction switch (MFS) if it is still there? The ignition switch is a slider switch on top of the column down lower than the high/low beam switch.

2013-01-03184600_zps1fa53a2f.jpg

Well I did junk the entire column. I'm not 100% sure yet if I still have the same problem or not, because I still haven't rewired the turn signal lamps that my wife's grandfather had cut. However, the wipers still aren't working. When I pulled the two plugs for the ignition switch I noticed the blue plug had one connector that was pretty burnt up. It still seemed to have continuity through it though.

Look for one of these under the dash (held to lower panel with Velcro), it is a time delay WS wiper relay, multi speed. You can pull it out, and connect the end connectors together to get full speed IIRC. Also check the fuses.

$(KGrHqFHJCkFBefzp),wBQd2bNJlo!~~60_35.JPG

I've already checked the fuses. Also it looks like my wife's grandfather has already removed that and put the connectors together.

We loving refer to him as Uncle Bob around here, LOL!

Back