• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wj knuckles

don't use them, your jeep will fold like a taco.

what is the benefits and what all is required to do the swap?

Better brake system (move from 1 to 2 calipers), more of a cross over steer setup since there is a separate mounting point for the TRE and the Draglink, higher clearance, better steering geometry/angles. Thats about it. I recently just did this but I also used it as an excuse to rebuild the entire front axle assembly. The only thing I did not due to upgrade axle shafts for now. I would rather replace a snapped axles shaft than blowing up the diff. My total cost on the HP D30 was $1661.34. Just in parts. Labor was my own/free. Here is a link to a spreadsheet of the parts I used and where I sourced them with cost breakdown. Not included in the parts list are two Currie Enterprises johnny joints for the trackbar that was made which was another $100. The stuff highlighted in yellow is what you would need bare minimum to do the job which can get you down to around $700-800

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsqH3HlEyjKZdEVNUUo3aldtTDBlLV9fQVRiaWQxdEE#gid=0

Last edited:
What did you do for your track bar, I didn't notice anything about it in your spreed sheet except for the over the axle bracket? BTW, great parts catalog for this upgrade. I am collecting parts for the same thing.

What did you do for your track bar, I didn't notice anything about it in your spreed sheet except for the over the axle bracket? BTW, great parts catalog for this upgrade. I am collecting parts for the same thing.

Last edited:

I used the left over material from the GM crossover steering kit for my trackbar. I forgot to add in the johnny joint ends with inserts, jks flange spacer and knuckle inserts as well.

HERE IS THE COMPLETE UP TO DATE PARTS LIST WITH PRICING AND VENDORS. HIGHLIGHTED AREAS ARE WHAT IS NEEDED BARE MINIMUM.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsqH3HlEyjKZdGNsN3VldHlIdFRpUWRRa003dHR2dkE

F you guys! Lol. I posted this thread standing in a junk yard.

haha, didn't know that. Well if you are trying to go with as much as you can from a junkyard then pull the knuckles, caliper brackets, calipers, rotors (need to be re-drilled). Thats about all you are going to be able to use, the rest you are gonna have to buy new.

tie rod ends too (all 4 - including the pitman arm one) if you are ok with running used tie rod ends.

I just did the Wj swap, for the time being to make it fast I am still running my Currie steering, drag link under the knuckle, tie rod OTK on the driver side with the goferit insert.

Knuckles shipped for 220$ with WJ steering and brakes and hardware.
got all new akebono calipers/pads/brackets from rockauto for cheap. centric premium stuff. came with all hardware.
used IRO pre drilled rotors, cross drilled and slotted as well,sorta.
Wj ball joints from all jeep for dirt cheap.
2001 TJ timken unit bearings for like 75$ each
JKS spacers (50$ shipped, expensive)

I think im into it for around 750$ total after I send back the cores for the calipers.
I mainly did it for the brakes, and I was planning on doing unit bearings and ball joints anyway, so I figure why not newer knuckles and bigger brakes.

I had to grind down the outer edge of the calipers to clear the rims, and the little nub on where the soft line banjo bolt goes into so you can clock it straight up .

New u joints, ball joints, unit bearings, and brakes is nice anyway.

Oh yah , I got some new 760s in my chromo shafts while I was doing it all, mine where toast, that was 100$ for 3 of them, with the 2 installed and one spare. only thing i didnt do my self.

I plan on driving over to ruffstuff and grabbing a bunch of hiems and DOM, and a panhard axle side mount and going OTK with a solid tie rod and running a high flat drag link to the pass side knuckle. that will be another 300$ or so, but ill sell the currie steering and that will help. Not sure if I will cut down the current track bar or build one.

Back