• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Floor Boards rotting out

peuglow

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. My 1996 XJ 4.0 I6 250k has spent it's whole life up here in New England. That means tough winters and lots of salt.

Now I'm dealing with a ton of rust and rot in the floorboards. My mechanic said the best thing to do, if I want to preserve this as my DD, is to get some sheet metal, pull back the carpets, and start tacking. I've never done any extensive body work (a little painting at a shop when I was 14-15) and I don't know my ahole from my elbow when it comes to welding.

Is this something do-able for a newbie? What kind of tools are needed? Can I do this an afternoon at a time so my DD isn't down for a week?

Floors were one of my first welding projects...Are you planning on buying pre-made floor pans, or making your own? You'll need a welder and an angle grinder for starters. I've always made my own floor pans, but if you're able to replace what's rusted out with a pre-made floor pan, it may be easier. You can probably do it an afternoon at a time, but that depends on where it's rusted out and how bad it is.

C2C fabrication has patch panels for relatively cheap

http://c2cfabrication.com/store/index.php

To be honest, I'm going to do whatever will cost the least but still be an effective fix. If that means I'm cutting cardboard designs to mark my sheet metal, and grinding away to cut them myself, so be it.

The rust seems worst under the driver and passenger front seats. But the floorboards over the gas tank need to be done as well.

I'll post up some pictures when I tackle this project. Depending on the scope, and how long it takes me to locate and/or purchase the metal and welding equipment, I'm shooting for an April repair. I don't really feel like laying around in the snow to do this.

I feel ya on that. I had 2 xj's a lifted 95 and a mint rust free 89 but......
re5a3uju.jpg
on coming cargo van pushed me off the side of the road and into a river upside down : /

its realy ez some type of cutting tool a drill and riviter. this is the biggest one i did. used heat ducting but depend on ur size you can get everything at homedepot
http://
40817_140023642701959_6156410_n.jpg

http://
39644_138239069547083_6775078_n.jpg

most recent before it got bad and sealed it both sides before and after patches bit bed liner.
floor4.jpg

To be honest, I'm going to do whatever will cost the least but still be an effective fix. If that means I'm cutting cardboard designs to mark my sheet metal, and grinding away to cut them myself, so be it.

all can be done realy cheap and in the weekend at a comfort pase. harbor freight is ur friend if ur always on a budget. just be carefull of were ur main supports are and try not to cut them up

That's good to know. And that's some clean work Beastly! I hope mine comes out half as nice

It would be best to weld the metal in and then seem seal it and scuff it primer&paint it! if you have any surface rust invest in something good like POR-15 or similar products otherwise you mines as well just scrap it in a few years of DD duties

I plan on doing it 100% right. I'm doing some research now on the right steps/methods to utilize. I've had the XJ for 7 years now, and I plan on having it for at least that many more. Quick fixes done wrong aren't an option.

Are the black parts of the floor boards like that when you pull the carpets back? Or did you spray those/install new pans?

Depending on how bad the rot is, I may redo the whole floor. If not, I will spot some stuff in.

the black is duplicolor bed liner i brushed on to help prevent and seal. id check to see how bad it just is and if its the hole the floor id buy pre made and build wat u cant buy

Back