• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camber out of range

Khary23

NAXJA Forum User
I got an alignment today and the camber on the drivers side is -1.1* my FSM has the preferred camber as -.25* with a range of -.75* to .5*. I know that I need an upper ball joint on that side so my question is will a bad ball joint cause the camber be so far out of wack? Thanks!

1999 Cherokee
4" OME lift
31" tire
V8 ZJ tie rod
Iron man 4x4 adjustable track bar and adj control arms
New ball joints and u-joints passenger side
New moog TRE on the draglink

Yes. If it's not the ball joint however, it could be a bent axle tube or bent C arm which is a whole another set of problems.

try hitting the casting that surrounds the ball joint. Like offsetting the taper to the ball joint stud that hold the knuckle in, or a tie rod end. After that put on the ball joint press, and ever so often while you are tightening it give it a good wack on the side to hit the taper and it will pop out, just be patient.

Yea it could be a ball joint:
-Raise the vehicle off the ground support it properly with jackstands chock the tires.
-Put one hand on the top of the tire and one hand on the bottom of the tire
-Shake the tire vertically up and down have another person inspect the upper and lower ball joints or any other loose parts.
-If nothing is loose then grab a good size breaker bar and give that a try and see if anything is loose. NOTE: Being that the load will be off the ball joints once the jeep is raised a breaker bar is really not needed but good for extra leverage if no results come from the shake down test.

Offset ball joints work well I run them from NAPA beefy parts

No heat necessary, I use Outlander's method every time and I've taken out 20 year old rusted-in balljoints with nothing but a 7/8 box wrench on the balljoint press and a 4lb sledge love-tapping the inner C a few times between cranking on the press.

Unit bearing bolts are what I hate the most if they've never been touched before, those can be a bastard. Chip/wirewheel the rust off the tip of the bolt where it comes through the unit bearing behind the rotor before turning the bolts and you'll be a lot happier.

try hitting the casting that surrounds the ball joint. Like offsetting the taper to the ball joint stud that hold the knuckle in, or a tie rod end. After that put on the ball joint press, and ever so often while you are tightening it give it a good wack on the side to hit the taper and it will pop out, just be patient.

Yea it could be a ball joint:
-Raise the vehicle off the ground support it properly with jackstands chock the tires.
-Put one hand on the top of the tire and one hand on the bottom of the tire
-Shake the tire vertically up and down have another person inspect the upper and lower ball joints or any other loose parts.
-If nothing is loose then grab a good size breaker bar and give that a try and see if anything is loose. NOTE: Being that the load will be off the ball joints once the jeep is raised a breaker bar is really not needed but good for extra leverage if no results come from the shake down test.

Offset ball joints work well I run them from NAPA beefy parts

i will definitely try your method

Back