• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

who sells "trim your grill" winch bumpers?

Boost_Retard

NAXJA Forum User
despite previously never wanting a winch bumper, the addiction might just require one now..
I have been searching for a few days, actually found a ton of companys that build bumpers outside of the big names ya see every day...

what i have not found is a slim as possible non park bench cut/trim/grind at all costs to get the winch in tight, Pre fabbed bumper.

approach angle is everything in my case, if one does not exsist, i will stick to the receiver mounted winch idea, for what i do, i dont need a winch all that often, but i constantly need decent approach angle..

the more and more i do need a winch though, the less and less i think running around with a receiver mounted winch will work as well as i first figured.

i am not worried about $$, just lookin for a nice tight clean winch bumper, no stingers, brush guard is OK. Tube or plate.

i have searched every wich way i can figure..

I don't see how that bumper is "high clearance"
It is dropped lower. And if you draw the line from front tire to front of bumper, your angle is the same as a bumper with a regular winch mount :dunno:

Check out action fab's bumpers. They are either flush with or stick out about 1" from the grill. I think winch sits below the radiator, but tucked tight

I don't see how that bumper is "high clearance"
It is dropped lower. And if you draw the line from front tire to front of bumper, your angle is the same as a bumper with a regular winch mount :dunno:

yup. that is not ideal

i have seen them tucked behind a beefed up stock crossmember.

building one is an option..both the ORS and that bumper would work out i figure, if thats the route i end up going i will build it for sure..simple and effective, not quite what i had in mind but its growing on me.

building one that sucks into the bumper is easy. just shorten the plates from like aj's or something. That's what I did on an old jeep

I had AJ build me a slik-rok bumper with a few mods a couple years ago. He tucked it in and made me a lower profile front hoop to protect the winch.

22172_533895123150_4278053_n.jpg

22172_533895128140_973979_n.jpg

22172_533895133130_5036764_n.jpg

Worked well for what it was. The hidden behind the front crossmember is the best setup for maximum approach angle.

this is who i got my winch bumper from. he does good work. i have to trim my grille a bit. have not finished the install yet.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/slim-winch-bumper-101335/index2/#post1203025

Again. Cool looking bumper. But by mounting the winch lower he eliminated anything he gained by pulling the winch back. If it were pulled back, but mounted higher, it would have better clearance than down low.
Do the whole draw a line from ground to tire to bumper thing.....bet youll find the angle on that set up isn't better than 80% of others out there.:confused1

i like what you have done with your rigidco bumper,

i had a chat with AJ's armor this afternoon, i am going to measure a few things and give them a call back later this week..we will see..

the more i look at the ORS bumper, as nice and simple and tucked as it may be, it would kinda suck having my winch being the first part of my front end to sink in the mud, or snow, or river....you get the idea..

thanks for all the pics and links/info, i will come up with something here by the end of the week i figure

Here's what I built(this is before i added the stinger), I could have tucked it back better but I'm not huge on my approach angle, it's a lot better in the corners now this is pretty high clearance to me!

Side view to show depth
6F0E3FF5-DC66-4E36-AAB0-FF525185F55D-5422-000002D922FC5598.jpg

Front view
018F38CE-6329-4533-BCD9-1ECD6393205B-5422-000002D92724E2C1.jpg

Completed( I know you don't want a stinger that's why I posted the above pic)
8BC97F6F-4AC9-4299-AD3C-7E5C34661BA7-6503-000003655C2D0DE0.jpg

My buddy pat owner of shocker Motorsports built this... Can't get much more high clearance than this...
30FA6D2E-922C-4C37-93E4-CBCA6172AA0D-4021-00000233DBE77494.jpg

Last edited:
uh, I would go with no. That has just as much clearance as any other bumper as it doesn't get into the grill or more it back, or up. Its a basic tube winch bumper. Nothing more accomplished.

And as the title is a "trim your grill" winch bumper search.... his bumper isn't even on the same playing field as what the OP is looking for.

uh, I would go with no. That has just as much clearance as any other bumper as it doesn't get into the grill or more it back, or up. Its a basic tube winch bumper. Nothing more accomplished.

And as the title is a "trim your grill" winch bumper search.... his bumper isn't even on the same playing field as what the OP is looking for.

Well to save an argument ill just agree to disagree, your opinion of whats high clearance differs from mine. I'm looking at it differently than you

Back