• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommendation for Key-On Power wire/location under hood?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently installed the Dirtbound Triple E-Fan kit... and wired the 12V source to the Power Distribution Center 12V Hot location. Since the fans run based on engine/coolant temps, the fans continue to run for a few minutes after shut-down and in doing so I think it's putting a lot of stress on my battery during these COLD nights.

I think during the winter I'd rather just run the power to the temp control via a key-on only power source. Any suggestions or ideas on what to use? It's hard to search for key-on 12V sources so any input would be appreciated. Also, pics are a big help for me if you have any.

Or... some good search terms that I can't think of would also be appreciated.

Thanks

I've had no problems with my electric fan running for a few minutes after power off. But I understand the concern.

There are a couple of switched accessory power wires coming out of the ECM harness, which could be used to drive an intermediary relay (only closed when powered, open when not). Do you have an FSM? If you dont, post your year

Sorry I forgot to post my year... it's a 2001 XJ, 4.0, Auto 4x4.

I do not have an FSM... so any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. During the summer (when temps get so hot here in Oklahoma... ) I may switch the fans back to a constant 12V to help cool down the under hood temps after running. It seems like the colder weather is harder on batteries than the hotter weather, or at least that's been my experience.

On my 1998, the wire loom that runs from the PCM up the drivers side of the engine bay has a blue wire with white stripe that is key-on power.

On my 1998, the wire loom that runs from the PCM up the drivers side of the engine bay has a blue wire with white stripe that is key-on power.
You'll also find this wire in the PDS on the passenger side. If you don't have ABS you could probably snag it from the relay cavity that's supposed to hold the ABS relay.

Dark Blue with a White tracer.

Back