• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 cooler line help

IROCthe4.0

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased a 00 XJ that the previous owner had swapped an AX15 into. He didnt fully complete the swap and it was missing parts. With the purchase of the Jeep I got all of the auto stuff. I have the auto trans back in and everything back to how it was. Only thing I didnt get was the trans cooler lines. I cant grab these from any of the local pick and pulls because all the XJs there dont have any wheels on them to let me underneith. Id rather not have to buy new if I dont have to. I know that stock the cooler lines have quick disconnect ends. My question is, can I use brake line with the correct end to thread into the transmission for this? What is the size and thread pitch of the cooler ports on the transmission? Maybe an NPT fitting into the trans? Its the last thing I need to do and I really want to get it done. Im going to use an aftermarket cooler up front so that end of the line will be easy. Basically I need to know what I should use to thead into the transmission.

I have a set that have been sitting out for a while that you can have for free if you pick them up tomorrow in Newington, or I can bring them down some other time, just let me know. Text me at 774 922 2854 if I don't reply on here when you see this.

If they're not in good enough shape I think I have another set in a parts jeep, just haven't pulled them yet. You can have those too when I pull them if the first set isn't good enough.

Now's the time to go ahead and plumb in an auxiliary transmission cooler as well. Being where you are and how cold it gets there, I'd to the time to plumb it in series with your radiator.

Im planning to bypass the in eadiator cooler and use just an aftermarket. The person I bought it from went as far as swapping a manual radiator in so it has no fittings in it, just open holes for the cooler

Im planning to bypass the in eadiator cooler and use just an aftermarket. The person I bought it from went as far as swapping a manual radiator in so it has no fittings in it, just open holes for the cooler

I wouldn't do that. I'd get the fittings and run the fluid through the radiator and the aftermarket cooler. The operating temps for the AW4 is about 122-175 degrees. The radiator cooler not only cools the trans fluid it warms it up in cold weather.

Back