• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A noise I can not identify?

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I've tried searching for a possible solution but can't think of the rights search words??
So when driving my 97' Cherokee(inline6) the is a kinda like a squeal noise but not like belt squeal but like a metal on metal, first thought I had was mechanical fan hitting on the radiator but there seems to be no evidence of any rubbing if the two, now normally I would look under the hood while its running to see where it's coming from but here's the problem: it only makes that noise while driving, the moment I slow down the noise will quite down and stop as I come to a stop, but if I give it gas, it won't get louder or speed up on the noise but be as it would just cruising. Anyone have this issue, its not like I can have a friend hang on to my jeep and look under the hood as I drive lol so I'm kinda lost to figure out where its coming from or what
Details:
Seems to be coming from the passenger side(which made me think fan/radiator at first)
Metal in metal squeal, not a hard squeal/squeak but I light one.
Only when driving, stops after I come to a stop.
Does not increase speed or noise as I increase speed.

Kind of agreeimg with wheel bearings, mine started making a noise like a stuck caliper when they got really bad on the driver side

Water pump? Mine went out of whack and sounded like I had a rod knock... not the funnest two days of my life figuring that one out

Look on the back of the radiator and see if the fins on the fan clutch are rubbing anywhere. Mine would make that sound on acceleration. After I replaced the radiator, installed my SYE and removed my 1"t-case drop, mine started rubbing. I installed new motor mounts, a new transmission mount and the bitch still rubbed so I notched the panel that the radiator's top studs go into and leaned the radiator forward ¼" or so. That finally took care of things.

Water pump and idler pully would be detectable in park, his noise is only while the jeep is moving , but a loose belt or bad power steering pump, low PSP fluid might squeal on turns. Alternator belt usually squeals right after start up, if it squeals at all. BUT, the OP already said "but not like belt squeal but like a metal on metal"

Look on the back of the radiator and see if the fins on the fan clutch are rubbing anywhere. Mine would make that sound on acceleration. After I replaced the radiator, installed my SYE and removed my 1"t-case drop, mine started rubbing. I installed new motor mounts, a new transmission mount and the bitch still rubbed so I notched the panel that the radiator's top studs go into and leaned the radiator forward ¼" or so. That finally took care of things.

That is worth checking.

Back