• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Problems

pfcstone777

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ Sport-

All these problems started as I was driving home in the snow yesterday.

My rear defogger light will not go off even when the Jeep is turned off. So I checked the fuse and relay and both are good. Now the gauges and interior lights wont go off when the Jeep is off. The Jeep will also not turn off unless I press the rear defogger button.

Also more problems, I can smell something burning from the kick panel where the fuses are. Some smoke also comes out.

Has anyone had the similar problem or know a fix for this? Probably going to just end up having to take it to a shop that specializes in electrical work.

Smoke is not good. Obviously, you should locate the source of the smoke and fix the problem. One might assume that most or all of the symptoms are related to the same fault/failure that is smoking.

My rear defogger light will not go off even when the Jeep is turned off. So I checked the fuse and relay and both are good. Now the gauges and interior lights wont go off when the Jeep is off. The Jeep will also not turn off unless I press the rear defogger button.

Does the defroster grid still de-ice/defog the rear window? All of it, or partial??

How did you check the relay & fuse? With a multimeter?

You say the dash lights stay illuminated when you turn the ignition off, but the ENGINE wont turn off unless you press the defrost switch??

I would assume something like this is the cause of a short, either in the defrost switch, wiring, or relay. I'd recommend start by searching around for a "defrost wiring diagram" specific to your 01 (though 97-01 should all be the same). Test the switch & relay with a multimeter. Then test/trace the wiring for shorts.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was able to get the gauges and the jeep to shut off properly now. My turn signals still will not work and now my headlights wont work. My running lights work fine but no headlights. The emergency flashers also now work. I replaced the defogger relay and the blinker relay.

The first thing I would do is pull the Junction block in the passenger side foot well and examine it for issues. PM Sent.

Had similiar issues minus the smoke. Turns out the clutch slave leaked onto the fuse block and it was slowly disintergrating. Had to pull the dash and put a new wiring harness in!!! :bunny:

Back