• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What gives and what should I carry. 1.0: Front D30

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to get the XJ into a reasonably reliable trail rig capable of confidently heading out on 2-3 day trail runs. Driving style is easy on the skinny, crawl over or go around. Sitting on 33's, ected lockers and 4:56 gears.

Focusing on the front D30 part of the drive train for now (planned other posts later)

I have US Alloy shafts in a non disco housing. Figure reasonable trail spares would be a full set of shafts (both sides). Looks to be a reasonably do-able trail repair.

Question is:
- how do I know exactly what shafts to buy to make sure they will slide in if I am faced with a trail repair? (I guess I don't really know the spline count differences)
- Is it best to buy a back up alloy set, or is there a JY/OEM back up that is cheaper (save the alloy replacement for a more controlled/non trail repair)
- What other misc. parts/pieces should be stocked for trail shaft replacement?

- What about ball joints? Mine were rebuilt recently, is that a typical trail repair I should be prepared for?
- What parts should be stocked/carried?

- worst case - what needs to be done to limp out with 2wd or 3wd?

Last edited:
Well since you asked about the shafts I would just carry your stock shafts as back ups if you have them, just put new joints in them if worn.

A spare set of ball joints and a press is not a bad idea. And I know some guys carry a spare unit bearing too.

Related items to think about.

Spare tie rod and TRE's
pitman arm
spare bolts
plate the pass upper control arm mount
lower control arm mini skids
extra gear oil

It all depends on driving style and the type of trails you run. Sounds like you wheel easy but stuff can happen to anyone and is more likely on a rough trail. It's better to be over prepared.

Unless you spent a lot on upgraded 30 spline stuff, you have 27 spline axleshafts in the d30.

Pick up a ruffstuff diff cover for it, a lubelocker gasket, and a pair of axleshafts from a 95 through 99.0 XJ as these will have the larger 5-297/5-760 size ujoints. When you pull them, leave the unit bearings installed on them, just pull the unit bearing off the knuckle and buy the whole assembly. Makes a busted axleshaft on the trail a 15 minute repair, just pop the wheel off, remove the caliper and rotor, get the unit bearing and busted shaft out, slap the spare in, and reassemble. Check the unit bearings before buying the shafts to make sure they're fairly good and plan on replacing the ujoints and preferably installing full circle clips, 760s with full circle clips are way stronger than 297s without.

As long as you don't do anything dumb and STOP DRIVING IMMEDIATELY IF YOU BREAK AN AXLESHAFT (like, don't even move it off the obstacle) you will not separate your balljoints, so you shouldn't need to carry a set of those. I do, and have had to use them, but I'm a bit more throttle happy than you say you are.

I carry
1 pair of balljoints
1 unit bearing with a stub axle already installed in it
A rag to stuff in the tube
1 brake line with fluid
Rod ends for my aftermarket steering
1 1310 ujoint for the front shaft

Thats pretty much it for the front end. hub and stub stay bolted into the spare tire with spare lug nuts.

Anyone who's been around for 6 years shouldn't be cluttering up the forum with this or the other 3 threads... just sayin.

Back