• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Xj owner, need a little help.

96xj-A-skwad

NAXJA Forum User
New Xj owner, need a little lift/tire help.

Hello everyone,

Just bought a 96 cherokee country. as far as I can tell all stock except for exhaust and 31" all terrains with Crager Bead-locks.

Thats where my issue is......i get alot of fender rub with those tires stuffed up in the stock fenders and ride hide.

Im looking to put a lift in, not looking to go over 3" and trying to do minimal other modifications ( such as t-case drop, drive-shaft work etc).

Also Im on a budget.

I commute about a total of an hour a day on highway so vibrations from a lift are in consideration.

Any recommendations? I know there is probably alot of experience out there and im lookin to make use of it.

thanks,
-Pete

Last edited:
Congrats!, having done the 3" lift myself I had to move up to 4.5" lift with adjustable lower control arm to fit 32" tires. This also required trimming the inner fenders but I was able to keep stock flares. I also lowered my rear bump stops to keep the rear from rubbing.

You may be okay with 31's and trimming the fenders but you'll probably need adjustable LCA's?

3" lift on 31's should get you minimal rubbing. you'll need to bust the sawzall out and trim anywhere it rubs.

There's a few threads here about building a lift out of junkyard parts (use google to search for junkyard lift site:naxja.org). you should be aiming for 3" of lift, you can get away with 2" if you bumpstop and trim. 3" is where you have to start replacing control arms and steering parts, which starts getting pricey.

It might be worth looking at options for downsizing the tires.

I did a 3 inch r.c. Lift. Came with the lower control arms non adjustable. Ran 31's with no trimming and only rubbing was on control arms at full lock. It really wasn't a big deal. Had minimal if any driveline vibes. Didn't do a sye or lower the transfer. Beat on that for two years with no problems.

Back