• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help main wiring harness

hell

NAXJA Forum User
Help I bumped into something and pinched a yellow wire on the front of my 89 and shorted the whole jeep! No ignition no gauges. Battery has charge lights work power too starter? So what could it be ecu? Please help it ****ed up on my way to work!!!
image_zpsc3122fcb.jpg

You're probably going to have to do some tracing on that one. I looked in the FSM I have (it's for an 88 though), and there are several things on the powertrain that it could go to. I'm betting more than likely if you locate the fusible links near the battery you'll find one that has popped when it got pinched. Unfortunately it appears that that wire supplies pretty much everything that requires a key on hot source. According to the FSM the 12v feed to the ignition switch is a red wire that is protected via a green (or red) fusible link.

I replaced the starter relay! Still nothing got it back into the garage and I'm about yo go to the junkyard to get an ecu! Could that be the what fried? Strong burnt electrical smell when it died! Yellow wire has 12 volts coming off of it where it pinched

I seriously doubt it is the ECU. Have you checked the fuses yet?

I would check the fuse links, main wires at the little ignition/start relay near the battery. You need to test each output wire after the fuse links.

Jumping to conclusions, and running to the JY to buy an ECU is not the way to fix this!!!

It gets 12 volts when disconnected and zero volts when connected wtf? Only 1 wire got cut! And it's completely fried

I replaced the starter relay! Still nothing got it back into the garage and I'm about yo go to the junkyard to get an ecu! Could that be the what fried? Strong burnt electrical smell when it died! Yellow wire has 12 volts coming off of it where it pinched

Which starter relay did you replace? The one on the top of the starter, or the little one near the battery?

Is the fuel pump running at all?

It gets 12 volts when disconnected and zero volts when connected wtf? Only 1 wire got cut! And it's completely fried

What "it" are you referring to?

The one by the battery. And it is the pinched yellow wire

Does that yellow wire go to the fuel pump or fuel pump ballast resistor? It may be melted, (broken) inside the insulation somewhere else?

The yellow wire comes from the alternator and splices into another yellow wire which connects to a big 6 prong plug. The yellow wire splices 3 ways those 2 ways and around the radiator on the main harness so if that grounds on the unibody what most likely blew I cannot find any more shorts took most of the tape off the harness everything looks fine except spot that got pinched. Relays on the side closes to the firewall are reading zero volts and no blown fuzes under the Collum

Got it fixed hopefully I can get it to work tomorow thanks for the info it helped alot:clap::party: it was another short by the starter relay

:clap:

which fusible link blew? It has to be one of them.

This is why I like OBD rigs more than RENIX, they don't have any fusible links :spin1:

Back