• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf springs & crossover steering ?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
So, I'm going to be running a leaf spring front end with no panhard rod / track bar. Think "YJ" suspension or, in reality, a '57 chevy truck.
I know that when you run a track bar you want to keep it parallel to the drag link and as close in length as you can.
If you eliminate the track bar, you eliminate the side-side movement through the track bar's arc on compression (though, through bushing flex & side loads, you may still get side-side motion of the axle)
Without the track bar, is there anything special to do with drag link design / angles to reduce bump steer? Or does it cease to matter?
I'm swapping beam axles to a WJ setup under the truck but not using coil springs. The original equipment does not include a track bar, so though I may add one some day, I'm not planning on it right now.
Just throw the axle under there, measure for caster, weld perches on & attach steering? Or is there anything else to be careful about setting up?

The angle still matters. you want it to be as flat as possible. Meaning that there should be very little angle between the pivot points

the flatter and longer the drag link the better.

I run a leaf sprung front end now (not in an xj) with a perfectly flat angle, as long as it could have been. I still hate how the steering feels, I blame the leaf springs for most of it, and the tall sidewalls for the rest of it. Everything else is new and tight.

Leaves a lot to be desired offroad too coming from a linked front end.

It's a 2wd project. My goal is to turn this '57 truck from my girlfriend's family into a more reliable highway friendly work truck. If it handles *too* badly, it will get a panhard rod or even lower profile tires. As it is... leaf springs are already there and the 235/75/15s are fresh, so they stay until proven inadequate.

Thanks for the input on drag links. Pretty much what I expected. Glad to know I'm not missing anythign critical about it.

It's a 2wd project. My goal is to turn this '57 truck from my girlfriend's family into a more reliable highway friendly work truck. If it handles *too* badly, it will get a panhard rod or even lower profile tires. As it is... leaf springs are already there and the 235/75/15s are fresh, so they stay until proven inadequate.

Thanks for the input on drag links. Pretty much what I expected. Glad to know I'm not missing anythign critical about it.

ahh, figured it was an xj considering the section you put it in.

yup, just a long and flat drag link.

im sure it will handle just fine (for a 57' truck) without a panhard.

What about hydro assist. I know a few guy that have done it in yjs and say it makes a world of difference.

good for big tires in the rocks, but with 29" tires on a street driven rig, It certainly isnt worth the time and money.

Back