• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best fitting oil pan gasket?

moparmansfield

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 mj with a 94 xj motor. I put a new oil pan on with the blue one piece felpro oil pan gasket. The rear main part of the gasket does not fit well at all. It seems like it is 1/2 inch to long and causes problems. I had to redo the gasket due a leak in the front part of it and found the rear section had ripped. Any ideas? And I did not over tighten the bolts.

That's weird that it doesn't fit. I remember when we worked on a members rear main seal, the felpro gasket fit pretty good on the oil pan.

I have a 91 mj with a 94 xj motor. I put a new oil pan on with the blue one piece felpro oil pan gasket. The rear main part of the gasket does not fit well at all. It seems like it is 1/2 inch to long and causes problems. I had to redo the gasket due a leak in the front part of it and found the rear section had ripped. Any ideas? And I did not over tighten the bolts.

Personally I don't use a gasket, I use "The Right Stuff" sealer. It works when nothing else will.

utu7ude5.jpg

This is what I'm talking about, if the picture shows up.

1st off thats WAY to much rtv, 2nd looks like a defective gasket, ive never had a issue with a felpro gasket on anything

I agree with ROB. Looks like a special gasket. I would get a new one and see. All the Fel-Pro gaskets I've used have fit very well (perfectly).

I just did the Felpro last night. You install it to the BLOCK with a smidgeon of RTV where the timing cover meets the block, and where the rear main bearing cap meets the block. Seat the gasket. Install the oi pan. Attach with bolts.

I just did the Felpro last night. You install it to the BLOCK with a smidgeon of RTV where the timing cover meets the block, and where the rear main bearing cap meets the block. Seat the gasket. Install the oi pan. Attach with bolts.

hmm. that sounds alot better than what im doing..

and the rtv is basically there to keep in place when i was to put it up. last time the rear main part buckled in to the pan causing a mojor leak. this is my second felpro gasket. same part number, but for some reason different colors, but same length issue i was having.

I use a little Permatex High Tack around the bolt holes on the pan to keep the holes aligned. I'd retun the defective gasket (bring the photo), get a new one.

From my experience the other night, doing it on an engine stand, I think it may be a real bear to get the gasket into the rear main bearing cap slot with it attached to the pan while laying under the jeep.

Back