• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this silver tube?

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
So have a question. I was replacing the light switch on the instrument cluster and left power connected. After removal of the switch and install of the "new" switch and doing the final securing I felt something warm on my arm. I found that it was this metal tube. Its a 3 prong no marking part. Nothing stamped on its side, and looks like its factory. Every thing appears to work with the cylinder removed. Should I re-install it? Is it normal to get warm? What is it? I have looked through the electrical manuals but cant find anything that would be like this... would it be the ignition time delay relay??? it looks like it is a match from something on RockAuto and the only thing I can see in the wire diagram. What are symptoms if its bad? Also to note this was warm when their was no key in the ignition, but lights where on. Ambient garage temp is about 58 deg F if that maters.

Thanks!

IMG_20121224_133553.jpg

IMG_20121224_133659.jpg

IMG_20121224_133606.jpg

Do your lights stay on after the key is removed?

On my '98, if I turn the lights off BEFORE I shut off the truck they go off (obviously)...

But if I turn off the truck first, THEN turn off the lights, they will stay on for about 30 seconds.

Last edited:
I am able to turn the lights on with the key not in the ignition if that is what your asking.

capacitors are traditionally only 2 "prong" with an anode and cathode connection, they also warm up, if they do that is a very bad sign...

I am able to turn the lights on with the key not in the ignition if that is what your asking.

No, what I mean is, do the lights normally stay on for a short while if you turn them off AFTER you remove the key from the ignition?

I don't know that much about your year. It might be a feature that was installed after '97...

Turn key on,then turn on head lights and turn key off.NOW push in light switch so the lights turn off, do they stay on for about 30 to 60 seconds?Most XJ's have a delay on the headlights if you shut the motor off before the headlights.

AKA head light delay.That is what he is saying that is.Which i also think thats what it is too.

My 89 has this in it also.

I am not sure... since it buzzes when the door is open I have never left the lights on... have left a dome light on a number of times, but never the main head lamps. And I can never recall if I the lights are turned off... guess I can go do that now.

Will try this next time I drive it... to be completely honest I have never done this type of sequencing of the lights,

Turn key on,then turn on head lights and turn key off.NOW push in light switch so the lights turn off, do they stay on for about 30 to 60 seconds?Most XJ's have a delay on the headlights if you shut the motor off before the headlights.

AKA head light delay.That is what he is saying that is.Which i also think thats what it is too.

My 89 has this in it also.

Yep, sorry if I wasn't clear about that...:dunce:

...to be completely honest I have never done this type of sequencing of the lights,

Yep, if you pull up to your house with the lights on and turn the ignition off first THEN the headlights, they should stay on for 30 seconds or so. This was a feature that would allow you to get to your front door with the headlights on, then they would turn off by themselves.

Obviously, if you turn the headlights off first, then the ignition, they shut off as soon as you push in the switch.

If it is buzzing with the door open that tells me it is a relay to let you know the doors ajar or you have the keys in the switch so you don't lock them in the car.I don't have a newer style

so if my jeep does not have this delay in turning the head lights off... this sensor / relay / switch is bad?

Can you tell me EXACTLY where this was located.....

As luck would have it, my dash is torn apart right now. If I have the same part and can locate it, I might be able to shed some more light on this....

Mine is a '98 so it might be different???

It is right under the steering column. In a large bundle of wire. Basically centered with the driver at about just below knee level behind the metal and plastic of the front dash assembly.

It is right under the steering column. In a large bundle of wire. Basically centered with the driver at about just below knee level behind the metal and plastic of the front dash assembly.

Well, sorry to say, I looked and can't see anything like what you've got. Like I said tho, mine is a '98...

Good luck.

Thanks!

That thing have nothing to do with the head lights.

I do not remember exactly what it does,...I think it have more to do with the halo lights around the key switch. The one in my XJ, 1996 also get hot/warm when the door is open. I will have to look it up and get back with the answer.

Yep, if you pull up to your house with the lights on and turn the ignition off first THEN the headlights, they should stay on for 30 seconds or so. This was a feature that would allow you to get to your front door with the headlights on, then they would turn off by themselves.

This is called Sentinel. It was an option included with certain trim packages. I have this on my Laredo.

Do your interior lights turn off instantly when you close all doors or do they delay?

Last edited:
Instantly off. The second doors also don't turn on the dome lights on.

Back