• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stranger in a stranger land

nosigma

NAXJA Member # 1371
NAXJA Member
I have spent 5 of the last 7 weeks in SoCal but of course had to cancel the one trip that would have let me lay over and take my rental out to Goatfest but this adventure makes up for it......

Last Thursday I had to run from SD up to Oxnard for a meeting late in the a.m. Rolled out of North Island around 3:30 a.m. While driving across Pendleton on the 405 my lower back began to hurt. By the time I got up to San Luis Obispo it got bad enough that I stopped and had stretch it out. It didnt help so back in the car and suck it up. Around 5:30 (after stopping a couple more times) the pain was bad enough that I was loosing focus and getting a little hazy. It was also becoming painful to breath. Stopped again, fell to the ground and darn near passed out from the pain when I moved to get out of the car. Got up off the ground and wandered into a gas station. Asked directions to the nearest hospital.

"Make a right onto Normandie then a left onto Carson. The hospital will be on your right you cant miss it".

I was starting to loose it while going down Normandie so picked up the pace to something like way the heck to fast. Good thinking huh? Going to pass out? well then hammer the throttle!!

Parked very illegally, stumbled into the ER sort off, got lost, blew through the metal detector and was "gently" assisted to the ER. About this time I realized I was in a unique place, half airport half prison with a distinctly Soviet era feel to it. Saw a sign about average wait times of 18 hrs. Got it together enough to realize I better play the shortness of breath/painful to breathe card heavily (a very very good move in a flash of lucidity).

Triaged in under a minute. A nice admin with a thousand yard stare filled out the forms for me since I couldn't focus enough to write (no questions about insurance, that's weird). O2, EKG, vitals all within a few minutes of arriving. Place on a gurney and monitored by a nurse practitioner. Doctor saw me soon there after. Within 30 minutes the pain is gone and I feel great. Prelim diagnosis: Kidney stone. 90 minutes after getting there I get an X-ray series AND a CAT scan. Both machines looked well worn and very old, complete with MacGuiver wiring and duct tape (no joke, duct tape on the CAT scan machine). Like I said a very Soviet era feel to it all. An hour after that the diagnosis was verified with the stone about to pass out of the kidney (still waiting for the other shoes to drop) I was given some GREAT pain prescriptions and cleared to leave. By the way the breathing pain came from the diaphragm pushing on the inflamed and swollen kidney.

Once my head cleared and the pain was gone I really looked around while waiting to be radiated and began talking to the staff as much as time would allow them. Nice folks, way overworked but despite it all very professional. The building and equipment was really beat up but still marginally functional. Other than a couple of way sick indigents I was the only white guy there. I am so glad I wasn't in a tie and suit jacket I already stood out enough in a T shirt and jeans. Chatted with a young girl who was all alone on a gurney in the hall. She had been laying there since the previous morning waiting on a room. Dropped off by "friends" who took off. There but for the grace of God go I. She may still be there for all I know.

The final kicker to the story was that when I "checked out" a guy came by with Medi-Cal forms to sign. I explained I was from out of state and wasn't on Medi-Cal. He shrugged and handed me a Medicaid form for out state residents. I passed over my insurance card and he about shit. He had to run off someplace and find a different form. He came back about 30 minutes later and apologized for the delay as he had to print out a "special" private insurance form since he never uses them, carries them or sees anyone that actually has insurance.

White guy, with insurance and no gunshot wound. No wonder they paid such good attention to me I was the strangest of all critters in that strange land.

Oh yeah, I made my meeting. Once I told my Oxnard host this story everyone agreed to delay the meeting until 2 pm.

Hats off to the folks that work at UCLA Harbor. Tough conditions, poor support and despite it all they make the best it with a better attitude than I could have under similar circumstances.

John

Last edited:
King-Harbor got in some trouble a few years back for letting a woman die in the waiting room and there was video footage of a janitor ignoring her and mopping up around her body. Glad to hear they've improved and you're doing okay.

Glad you're okay now, John. I had a kidney stone a few years back, so I know the pain you felt. I've driven by that hospital before, and remember thinking that is not the place I'd want to be.

Lurch,
Not hard to see that happening. On a weekend night the patients are probably stacked up like cord wood in that place. When I got there there were people passed out and/or sleeping on the ER waiting room floor, not many but enough that I noticed. I am pretty sure that if I had just bitched about my back hurting I would have been a the back of the line. Its a fine line between "my stomach and arm hurts" (female heart attack-front of the line) and my stomach hurts (flu-back of the line).

Johnnyc,
Stunning how good you feel, almost euphoric, when the pain goes away isnt it? I cant complain about the service I got there so I hope Lurch is right about it getting better. I cant even imagine what that place must be like on a Friday or Saturday night from 10 pm until 5 a.m. I am sure the story would have been very different if I hadn't been there on a Thursday at 6:00 a.m. or so. It wasn't difficult to see how hard edged the staff could be if the situation called for it. The thousand yard stare I got from the admin was not uncommon. Fortunately every one was pretty relaxed when I got there and they didn't have their game faces on, especially the guards who "assisted" me.

John

Glad it all worked out. Your first mistake may have been trying to drive from Pendelton to Oxnard by way of SLO. Talk about taking a long way around! ;)

I had a kidney stone when I was stationed in Germany. I had to go to the german hospital in the middle of the night. It was 3 hours of agony laying on a gurney before the meds kicked in and the pain went away. It felt like someone was digging a soldering iron around in my side just under my ribs.

I'm glad to hear you are okay.

UCLA has always had and will always have my respect.

In town that long you should have called for dinner. ;)

I hit myself in the face with a tie down bar in Anaheim a few years back. Busted my glasses, probably gave myself a concussion and split my mouth open bad. Had a dude from the auto auction drive me to the hospital (no clue which one, was kind of dizzy)

Got there and they told me 12-16 hour wait. WTF? I went back to my truck, drove to Utah and went to the hospital here. Checked in, five minutes later I was being seen by the Dr. I would have still been waiting at the ER had I waited. Screw that.

John, Should i let anybody ,back east,know what happened?
If your still in Calf. I,ts snowing here..... A White Christmas.......

I'm glad to hear you are okay.

UCLA has always had and will always have my respect.

In town that long you should have called for dinner. ;)

I was trying to find the time but was not able too. I only had two weekend layovers (worked one and slept through the other) and the rest of the trips were Sun-Thu or Tue-Fri trips. Odd thing about this trip was that the folks back east seemed to think it was ok to call me daily at 6 or 7 a.m. east coast time. Ended up working half an east coast day and a full west coast day as a result. You get a lot done but it doesn't leave much time for anything else. I will let you know in advance next trip and force time into the schedule. Always up for dinner or lending a hand wrenching. I will force some time into the schedule next trip.

John, Should i let anybody ,back east,know what happened?
If your still in Calf. I,ts snowing here..... A White Christmas.......

Wayne,
Appreciate it but you dont need to go to the trouble. I flew home Friday morning.

John

Each time I see this thread, I think of Iron Maiden.

The lyrics are stunningly appropriate. They would have been spot on if I had been there for the normal wait time.

John

King-Harbor is a different hospital...

My mom goes to Harbor General for chemo (no insurance, just now on MediCal), I'm quite familiar with it. It's a good thing you parked illegally as it takes an hour to find a space there. I've gone through those security checkpoints myself, I'm not sure what annoys me more, the fact that they exist or the fact that they're needed. If you're ever passing through again and can tolerate an additional ten minutes go five more miles up Torrance Blvd. to Little Company of Mary.

I haven't been an inmate there in ages, back when I was small I had asthma bad enough to spend some nights there.

Back