• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More questions...

xCOYOTEx

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have had the jeep with the no start issue. I will go back over the problems to refresh everyones memory. I drove the Jeep home one night, the next morning I went to start it and it would just turn over. Has new coil, new Crankshaft positioning sensor, new wires and new plugs. I have spark. I have fuel. Now I have pulled the front of the motor apart because I believed it had jumped time. After I did, the timing chain had some slack but not too much. Now I am not sure what the problem is. I now have the compression numbers so maybe some people can give me some ideas as to where to look. #1 is 50 pounds of compression. #2 is 100, #3 is 50, and #4 is 130. Now what made me believe my motor had jumped time is that the rotor seems to be between #1 and # 3 at TDC. So before i go any farther tearing into it, what to y'all think my problem is?? I am about to pull the distributor, but I dont want to waste my time if the motor is shot or just needs rebuilt. THANKS!!

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but even if the timing chain had jumped, I don't see any possible conclusion other than the head needs to pulled.

I would pull the valve cover first and rule out any valve problems top side, broken springs, or what ever top side.

Leak down test would be next.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but even if the timing chain had jumped, I don't see any possible conclusion other than the head needs to pulled.

I would pull the valve cover first and rule out any valve problems top side, broken springs, or what ever top side.

Leak down test would be next.

The leak down test will let you know where the compression is being lost--head gasket/cracked head; burnt/bent valves; bad rings.

Back