• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

time too get on it. My snow jeep build.

Oxen__

NAXJA Forum User
ok i finally got some time here to work on my rig. & bought a nice Lincoln welder to do the metal work with.

so here is what i have on hand for axles. d44/d60 from a 74 Dodge w300 power wagon.

also a set of d44/14 from a 75 4x4 Chev .

i am looking to buy the parts to install a rear end first.

then do the front end. i want to do radiouse arms i believe. any suggestions would be good. the last rig i just put it on leaf springs front and rear . but i don't think i want too go all leaf again.

the other plan is to install a aw4 and get rid of the ba10 and run this shift unit http://radesignsproducts.com/Rail.html to get around having to do a full harness swap and i get a sequential 4 speed out of it.

frame plating will be in order on this . who installed a kit ? and howd it fit?

what are your plans for a tcase? what plans for tires? size? is this youre first welding progect?

what are your plans for a tcase? what plans for tires? size? is this youre first welding progect?

this wont be my first welding project. i am a fabricator / machinist by trade. instead of tig welding every thing i picked up a mig to save my self some time.

my t-case is i have a divorced np202. so the planned set up is aw4-231-np202. tire size 38 inches. i wheel a bunch of snow. i am stretching my rig about 10-12 inches. to make room for the t-case.

So id like to hear some opinions about the 60desighn and the 14 bolt. Im sorta stumped on what one to use now. I figure the 14 because of the extra bearings .. should i count the 60 out yet?

38" tires? A d60 you'll want to be 35 spline, so either look for one of those off the bat or plan on the extra cost of making it happen. The 14 bolt, give it good shave and that's all you'll need. keep an eye out for either...

Last edited:
38" tires? A d60 you'll want to first. be 35 spline, so either look for one of those off the bat or plan on the extra cost of making it happen. The 14 bolt, give it good shave and that's all you'll need. keep an eye out for either...

The 14 i have on hand :) so ill start with it . Time to find gears. And get this housing all clean and redo the brakes.

so what prompted my swap was my rear end went out on the last wheeling trip i took. thought it was a shaft i popped checked both sides no broken shaft . well turns out i open the diff and can you guess what broke ?

game ball to: who ever gets it right!

who wants to stab at it.

You guys are no fun ha ha.

So my rear carrier failed. It fractured 360* right next to the ring gear. Od part is non of the spider gears fell out ring and pinion gear are fine. Shafter are good. Pinion bearing probly didnt survive. With the gear oil slinging up there with debris in it. But im not gonna waste the time tearing it down. But i will taker on out to make way fir the new stuff.

Waiting on shippment from balistic. To start in on this.

I ran 5.38's with 38.5's on my TJ with a 4:1 TeraLow kit and a NP3550 5-speed. For the most part, I liked that combo, but sometimes it felt too deep for casual trail riding. I spent a lot of time starting in 2nd or 3rd in sand and snow.

I ran 5.38's with 38.5's on my TJ with a 4:1 TeraLow kit and a NP3550 5-speed. For the most part, I liked that combo, but sometimes it felt too deep for casual trail riding. I spent a lot of time starting in 2nd or 3rd in sand and snow.

did oyu ever run that set up before you had a 4:1 lowrange? i'll have the choice of 2.72:1 & 1.91:1 in my rig.

Back