• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Suspension Basics 101

bimmerjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
First, I want to identify the major parts.
Then, I want to understand what they do, and how they fail.
My 1998 XJ is not quite the same as the photo, so I will post a few.

93988d1329023285t-front-end-suspension-question-xj-20front-20suspension.jpg

Can you verify I have the names correct?
Yellow = Sway Bar (Most forward bar)
Red = Drag Link
Purple = Tie Rod
Green = Track Bar (Has a big bend in it)
30ucscw.jpg

Below is my driver's front wheel.
1) End of Drag Link (ball joint)
2) Sway Bar Link? (Isn't the sway bar at the very front, under the grille??)
3) End of Track Bar (ball joint)
4) Tie Rod
mb06ds.jpg

Red = Drag Link
Green = Tie Rod
Yellow = Track Bar
359l3de.jpg

Sway bar? At the very front, under the grille...
2jebjt1.jpg

There is a 4th bar that has a "strut".
What is this called? Does the bolt ever get loose? (Like the trackbar?)
2w1t9au.jpg
2qbdpps.jpg

The dealer told me that I needed a new track bar.
I grabbed this "crooked" bar and it did not move, for what it's worth.
Is this why he said it was bad? Ball joint seal is shot?
Or, is it because the bolt on the other side might be loose?
k3pr5.jpg
2w7lkbr.jpg

1. Sway Bar
  2. Track Bar
  3. Tie Rod
  4. Drag Link
  5. Sway Bar Link

For each of these, is anyone here able to explain
a) What is does. What is it for?
b) Does it ever wear out? If so, when does it need replacing? How would you know?

Thanks.

your front suspension is exactly like the one pictured in the first photo.

the 5 link geometry was the same across the XJ/ZJ/TJ platform. You can swap axles between them without changing brackets even.

the "strut" is the steering stabilizer.

it's there to dampen the steering wheel from bumps on the road.
I've never replaced one and I usually throw them away.

I find it interesting that the OP isapparently tryin to break the record for the most posts and threads about things that have been covered already.

Just take that 4xexporer photo and go sit under the front of your jeep. It's pretty obvious what each part does and how it might wear or fail.

Grab onto each and shake the crap out of to feel for any movement, lift the front wheels up and check it again.

Do you have a front end issue you are trying to chase down?

I find it interesting that the OP isapparently tryin to break the record for the most posts and threads about things that have been covered already.

Great contribution! Thank you.
Let me guess, you also chime in anytime someone bumps an old thread that is related to his new questions with "necrobump, what's the big idea??"

I did search. I found nothing. Please tell me what you search for to find a thread that answers all my questions above, and then post the link. Thank you.

Do you have a front end issue you are trying to chase down?

Yes.
1) The dealer told me I needed a new track bar. I'd like to find it, and then know why it's bad.
2) When I reverse at full lock out of my garage, I get a popping. I have new hubs, u-joints, and drag link ball joint, but the rest of the suspension is OEM from 1998.
3) I want to replace everything that is bad.

Also, I want to understand how a front suspension works.
  1. Sway Bar
  2. Track Bar
  3. Tie Rod
  4. Drag Link
  5. Sway Bar Link

For each of these, is anyone here able to explain
a) What is does. What is it for?
b) Does it ever wear out? If so, when does it need replacing? How would you know?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't think you are ready to search just yet. Print that 4X Explorer picture out, go sit in front of your jeep and study a bit, it's really not that complicated.

Then maybe come back here and ask a specific question.

I guess the point here is that every aspect of the front suspension has been covered in excruciating detail through the years. I and others could spend our time searching, note addresses and post links which you could then click on and read. Maybe someone else will be willing to do this but ......

Take track bar e.g. A simple search will will turn up threads within the past year that deal with pretty much everything that can go wrong and how to diagnose and fix. Some threads will probably be in Mod Tech. Then ask questions when something doesn't make sense.

One thing that might help: If I understand correctly, what you are calling ball joints are generally called "tie rod ends" (TREs). In general, "ball joint" refers to the two devices for each wheel that connect the steering knuckle (wheel) to the axle yoke. A popping sound when turning can be a ball joint as well as a track bar or possibly some other component. No magic here unfortunately.

Also, you cannot diagnose most steering and suspension problems by simply grabbing the component and shaking it.

this

Also it looks like your axleshafts have been replaced. That makes that ridiculous bill you were given for ujoint and other stuff replacement slightly less painful but still ridiculous.

Maybe you should start with remote control crawlers first? They work almost exactly the same with solid axles, chassis mounted servos that act like steering box and you learn about what axle shafts, tie rods, track bar, etc..... But then again from what I've been reading, this might not be worth the "money" and maybe you should just leave it to others?

Sway bar? At the very front, under the grille...
2jebjt1.jpg

Yes

There is a 4th bar that has a "strut".
What is this called? Does the bolt ever get loose? (Like the trackbar?)
2w1t9au.jpg
2qbdpps.jpg

Steering Damper; hardly ever.
The purpose of the steering damper to to dampen un-commanded movement in the steering system and prevent the oscillations which result in "death wobble".

The dealer told me that I needed a new track bar.
I grabbed this "crooked" bar and it did not move, for what it's worth.
Is this why he said it was bad? Ball joint seal is shot?
Or, is it because the bolt on the other side might be loose?
k3pr5.jpg
2w7lkbr.jpg

Turn the Jeep off. Lay under the Jeep and have someone rock the wheel.
If the rod moves independent of either the axle or the body, the bushing or the ball is shot.

I'm figuring you are young, and this is the 1st vehicle you had an inkling to work on. Take the others comments for what they are worth, they really are trying to help you.

Also;Not all learning happens in front of a computer screen.

In the "Old Days" (when we had to walk to school - uphill both ways, in a raging blizzard ;) ) They had these things called "Manuals".

Now If I remember how they worked (and I may be a bit fuzzy about the order or details being as I'm over 30 ;)), you looked up what you were interested in in the "Index", then turned to that "Page", and read the material. Then we would go "Fix" our vehicle, then come back to the "Manual" every now an again when we got stuck.

If we really wanted a good time, we would invite buddies over with Beer and we would all work on the vehicle and occasionally break out the "Manual".
Sometimes the vehicle got fixed, and sometimes it didn't. But, in the end run, we had fun and learned something.

-Ron

I'm figuring you are young, and this is the 1st vehicle you had an inkling to work on. Take the others comments for what they are worth, they really are trying to help you.

Also;Not all learning happens in front of a computer screen.

In the "Old Days" (when we had to walk to school - uphill both ways, in a raging blizzard ;) ) They had these things called "Manuals".

Now If I remember how they worked (and I may be a bit fuzzy about the order or details being as I'm over 30 ;)), you looked up what you were interested in in the "Index", then turned to that "Page", and read the material. Then we would go "Fix" our vehicle, then come back to the "Manual" every now an again when we got stuck.

If we really wanted a good time, we would invite buddies over with Beer and we would all work on the vehicle and occasionally break out the "Manual".
Sometimes the vehicle got fixed, and sometimes it didn't. But, in the end run, we had fun and learned something.

-Ron

Ron,

Can you explain what you mean by "rock the wheel"? Do you mean the front tires? Do you push the car side to side, or forward and backwards? Or do you mean the steering wheel. With the engine off, isn't the steering wheel locked? This is why it's near impossible to learn this stuff online, because every conversation or write-up leaves out massive glaring specifics. But, that is the only option for anyone who isn't going to school for this stuff, and do not know a single person alive who knows how to work on a car anymore. Also, I work on the car alone, with no electricity, and do not have a helper who can push the car as you suggest. When I have relatives visit, I will ask them to "rock the wheel" if you explain what that means.

If the rod moves independent of either the axle or the body, the bushing or the ball is shot.

I don't fully understand this, either, b/c I have never seen what the right and wrong way are.
If it should NOT move independent of the axle and body, then are you saying it SHOULD move WITH the axle or body?
Are you basically saying that the track bar should not move at all while "rocking the wheel"?

I have an owner's manual. It does not cover how to service the front suspension. It only covers things like how to work the radio and what fluids to use.

Last edited:
this

Also it looks like your axleshafts have been replaced. That makes that ridiculous bill you were given for ujoint and other stuff replacement slightly less painful but still ridiculous.

What is an axle shaft? Can you point out what photo you're referring to? I am pretty sure the only thing ever replaced on this XJ was the fluids. The PO didn't invest a single penny into this thing.

What ridiculous bill? I paid 3 hours labor to get my hubs, u-joints, rotors/pads, muffler, and cat installed. I also supplied my own parts. $750 was the total cost of all of that. That is almost the deal of the century. You'd pay twice that at any other mechanic, and pay $3000 at the dealer.

Ron,

Can you explain what you mean by "rock the wheel"? Do you mean the front tires?

Nope he means you should rock the rear tires because that will most truly give you your answer for the front.... Lol of course he means front, and can't you at all think for your self and say @hmm rock a tire? So what does rock it mean?" Probably means you should try to move it. Typically the direction the tires move(left/right)
On to a very serious question, how old are you? Because you seem to have the attitude of a 17 year old. We try to show you how easy it really is but you over complicate it and won't listen. And you try to make a crisp ton of excuses as to why it is hard. Just man up, sit down, read till your eyes hurt and search and connect the dots.... Now after reading and reading and if one section doesn't make sense, go ahead and ask, or if you thought of a different way but not sure if it will work, ask! But to honestly make these strange excuses as to this is hard or meant for "professionals" is stupid. There are probably 15-16 year old on here working on their own jeeps and they work probably at a McDonald's, so the whole "professional" thing is out the door. Again, man up, read, use common sense, and just do it.

Sorry, but "rock the wheel" makes no sense to me, so I can't just go out and try random shit. That's idiotic. Thanks for your "help", but maybe someone else knows how to explain what he's trying to say. Do you push the car side to side, like when testing hub bearings for lateral play? Would that show up in a trackbar excessive play? Or does he mean forward and backwards? If this, why wouldn't he just say "push the car back and forth"? "Rock the wheel" is singular which greatly confuses matters. If he meant rock the car back and forth, he would have said "rock the wheels". So, if he's using singular, maybe he's referring the the steering wheel. With the engine off, isn't the steering wheel locked? Maybe I will drive to the dealer and ask them to explain to me why the trackbar is bad. This may be the simplest and fastest solution. Thanks.

Holy freakin cow did you eat a giant bowl of slowness?!?!?
He said "rock the WHEEL"
He didnt say "rock the CAR"
So looking at that sentence and hopefully you can understand the difference of what a wheel is and a car, you should be able to deduce it down to either the steering WHEEL or the actual WHEEL that's on the axle, either way it shouldn't be hard to just try both.

Back